HELP! Caterpillar infestation, bud rot! Neem ineffective

@MattyBear Good idea, I’ll stick a box fan out there and move some air past em. Wife is very opposed to the plants coming inside for some reason. :thinking:

3 Likes

Plants - wife

Tough call

5 Likes

Her words: I don’t want your shiterpillars in the house!

5 Likes

Anyone in the Northeast having these issues?

Out of commission for awhile, but . . .

MAN! A ILGM-wide infestation. Sucks, bigtime.

Not so far @bob31

gypse moths in spring but have not seen any thing else since

just an idea, my grow shop sells myco-magic a co2 generator (some type of fungus) cover your plants with a 55gal. trash bag and suffocate them

2 Likes

Oh, That is fine. I thought you meant the weed in general. I can’t imagine one of those buggers crawling on me in my sleep.

That is kind of what I was talking about with the smoke. Same idea (no O2), but yours is probably way better - while mine is way cheaper :slight_smile:

yeah the co2 is good for the plants but do catapilars even breath the last time i step on one nothing looked like lungs

2 Likes

Its looking like a SoCal issue ATM. @bob31

I’m thinking my girls are done. At least harvest wise. Buds are dried out with no stickiness like they had and are black! Just makes me sick to look at them.
I’m thinking the caterpillars have been eating the buds from the inside out, and have just now appeared on the outside where we can now see them. But its weird that the buds looked normal on Sat., then looked like they had some blackness to them yesterday, and are now all black today. It happened so damn fast! I check my plants everyday and cant believe this happened so fast!

I sprayed the hell out of them today with the Monterey BT, but going to be to little to late.

2 Likes

Im with you on that man I’m definitely pissed off about it as well. Most of my plants are losing probably half the crop :roll_eyes: oh shit @Rugar89 that looks just like mine :disappointed:

Wow!! That’s unreal guys! I wonder if it is a So Cal thing, are other types of “flowering” crops having similar issues?

1 Like

IGosh! I hate to hear about your caterpillar & moth issues! After all the $ & work you’ve put in & the exciting anticipation of a good outcome! Man, that’s infuriating!! I’m mad for you; could this have been avoided? I read somewhere that some strains are more pest resistant than others. But if someone might know why they’re so attracted to the plants at this stage, maybe a pre-emptive strike might work for next time. Since you’re in a legal state contact the agriculture department or Southern Cal U & ask what info they have on these buggers. In Alabama, Auburn University is our agricultural college. Which one is the best in CA? Contact them. They can identify the species & what it’s attracted to & the best method of eradication. I’m interested to find out, wish you the best. Hope you have some others that you will have better yield with.

3 Likes

I posted a couple pics of a tiny little leaf cutting worm back in July.

I still find one here or there but they do not look like the same thing @rugar89 @Trav & @arpeggio have encountered.
I’ve found them in a little cocoon made in the fold of a leaf here and there too. I just pick that leaf off and squish it dead.
I suppose I should take pics of the 4-5 different kinds of bugs I find on them.
It’s mostly those worms, a few varieties of little spiders, leaf hoppers, aphids, some red and black moths & a few ladybugs eating the aphids.
They will all learn about 9:1 water:isopropyl this afternoon.
I will never skip a day of going up to inspect them for bug damage/infestation/disease again.

3 Likes

@Willd
I had no leaf damage or any signs of them until they appeared on the buds on Sunday with slight bud rot. But by Monday my buds were black. I even flushed my plants on Saturday and didn’t notice anything, no holes in the leaves or anything. Its like it all happened over night.

2 Likes

That is the truly devastating. Do you suspect it was probably not really “bud rot” but the cumulative damage of the worms over time?

2 Likes

@Willd From my Journal. My thoughts on what I think happened.

2 Likes