Heated soil in growing medium

I have a boiler in the shed I will eventually be relocating to. It would very easy to plumb an extra line to loop under the grow tent, or near the pots. The question is, how many of you far more experienced growers actually heat their soil? If so, is there a benefit and what temperature?
Hypothetically speaking, outside growing, I would imagine the soil gets heated in the sun during the day. I appreciate everyone suggestions.
@Hogmaster @latewood @Countryboyjvd1971 @bob31 @Willd @rodri59 @Rugar89 @Screwauger @anyoneelse who finds this thread…

3 Likes

watching this post

1 Like

I actually don’t heat my soil but my indoor garden I don’t have the need either bro
Now with that said I did work years back for a lady who raised prized winning orchids anyway
She had heated planter beds she keeped soil at 75-78 degrees in winter
we installed two boilers in the green house to take care of the beds and general comfort heating radiant heat in floors etc one boiler for flower beds other for heating the space itself
So yeah soil temps of 75-78 degrees @Covertgrower

3 Likes

With @Countryboyjvd1971 here too. I use a 4 place seedling starter mat in my cellar in Maine to get everything going and growing which raises the trays 7-10° F above the ambient air temp.

If I were growing in a shed or high tunnel in winter (or AK most of the year) I would consider supplementing the limited solar radiation of the sun with radiant heated floors/beds off a wood boiler or whatever you heat with.
Weed really thrives in that mid-high 70’s temp I think too.

1 Like

Thanks @Willd and @Countryboyjvd1971 I’m medicated because of my migraine, I’ll post something with more thought later.

Sorry about that last post… so if I heated the soil hotter than 80°F it may not be good?
My return from the house is usually around 120° (give or take a few but I checked it) the boiler heats the water to 180° on the outlet. I can even have the boiler on standby of 140° when not calling for heat. So my plants won’t freeze. @Countryboyjvd1971 @Willd The shed will I’m sure will reach 70°-80° Even in winter. (Maybe even more and may have to vent?)