Guessing it's time to start a journal

Ok so I have been battling gnats for last 2 months I switched grow boxes and they followed. I have been ducking tons of them up in shopvac. Now that we are getting ready to enter flowering stage I had to get rid of them so I was looking around garage and found a 20lb bag of de food grade so I put it on the floor around the girls and dusted one entire plant. Got up this morning and went to check on them and no gnats were flyin around thankfully. I will be treating ad necessary and will keep everyone updated.

3 Likes

Also upgraded my intake to move more air I know they don’t like that

1 Like

This is my spread sheet that I conjured up its actually got alot of info incase I ever have a problem…i.e.temps hi and low rh, ph in, ph out, if they were fed and what they were fed and when they were fed my chart updates at midnight

2 Likes

Just a pic of the girls

3 Likes

she’s a beast

4 Likes

@Sirsmokes she sure is! Beautiful beast. If that’s a thing.

2 Likes

Guess who scored about 40 gallons of rain water from the storms yesterday…yep this guy I’m sure the girls will love it right now big bertha is the only one who’s got a drink, I have one that I have not watered in a week and it’s pot is still heavy I don’t want to but I may have to poke more holes in it

2 Likes

So I’m sitting here and a thought comes to my mind, I’m going to have to start to thin this out I can’t see from one side to the other or see the pot or dirt when looking down. I have tons of clone material however I haven’t been able to get any clines to survive, plus took my othere box down amy ways so really no where to clone and mama won’t let me bring them into house cause of family and kids. But I don’t really know where to begin… I’m sure after a couple of weeks she will start to tell me where she needs thinning and I plan on stripping the bottom 4 or 5 inches to focus on the top flowers. I guess it really depends on what she decides she’s going to do and where she’s going to do it. I’m really telling myself I have to remember to be patient I know that I’m going to run out of my last harvest before this one is ready but I’m seriously thinking about quitting until it’s ready bUT then I know I will rush it…what to do what to do

In my haste to run in and out of the rain placing buckets to catch the most rain water I actually used every bucket I had so now I have nothing to set my girls on to collect the run off. I always use a grill grate on top of a bucket then when it’s almost done dripping I catch that and ph it so my smart self now has to sacrifice 5 gallons lol

1 Like

We have saved many one gal milk jugs for stotage of our rain water. We also have 4 of tbe 5 gal water cooler bottles and numerous 5 gal buckets and tubs for catching rain. It’s a job doing it. But the plants seem to love the rain water😎

Yes I have heard they do too but do you ph the water down? @70sChick

We always check PH and adjust accordingly

Normally I do just wasn’t sure if I needed to with rain I thought on one hand yes because I’m in a soiless medI’m and no on the other hand because it’s directly from nature the way the plant would get it outside… but I went ahead and ph the water anyways but it was 6.0 so I didn’t have to do much adjusting it’s weird tho because I checked the ph of the rain last night and it was 7.0 and today it was 6.0 so I recalibrated my meter and it was good so they each got a good drink and the pot that won’t dry I put 9 or 10 Xtra holes so it should help and I mounted all my fans where they blow right through the middle of the foliage at a angle toward the medium to try to help dry it out and turned my exhaust fan up to 190 cfm to see if it will help with the remaining gnats by moving a larger volume of air thru the plants

1 Like

@Covertgrower @bob31 my pH of my soil is slowly starting to come up I got some fast acting lime and am raising it slowly I don’t want to shock her with a big jump tonight they were between 4.9 and 5.4 last time they were each like 4.2 or 4.3 they were low neways so I’d say another week and they should be at 5.8 and I will monitor from there. The big girl is 20" tall and 24" wide and the other is 12" tall and 24" wide at its widest and the runt is 8" tall and 18" wide. I know the two SD are small but if you recall my earlier situation I kinda had no choice this round no way to seperated them convently so I’m gonna gI’ve the runt to mt ex partnet for the seeds I’m a man of my word aND will honor an agreement we didn’t afree on specific amount and I think my growing them a plant will square that up or it does in my book

1 Like

@Sirsmokes That sounds like a good plan. It should work. Just continue to measure run off, so you know its on its way up.

Yea, it seems consistent. But, when we add nutes, it changes so we check it, i must admit some days when I give them just plain rain water. I have skipped checking PH. I try not to skip it, because it’s a good habit to always check it… I’ve found pond water to be the same
I also have fans that blow on the smart pots, big help

I havent been using many neuts but this one plant is starving she was going through a half gallon of water a day now she’s going thru 3/4 of a gallon to a gallon in 24 hrs so I got some bloom plus I have been feeding her once a week and a different kind of neuts every other feeding one is for every time you water it’s really weak but she quit eating herself plus I am finally starting to get a handle on my pH in the soil it was 4.2 and now its right around 5 so she’s really starting to increase her neut uptake now that she can absorb more

Ok what can I use to kill gnats? Neem oil, what the de didn’t work it thinned them out but only for a few days I have hung fly strips and put sweet apple cider vinagar in there and they ate startING to come back I have also added more airflow by alot and that doesn’t seem to bother them either I’m ready to pull my plants out and burn the box lol but any suggestions will be appreciated @Covertgrower @bob31 @Hogmaster

TOssining around the ideal of a new light, here’s the deal I always plant more than I have room for due to the 50/50 male female factor only problem with that is again I have all girls and really only enough room for 2 and the one I’ve got that’s so big I could really have veged her another 3 weeks and just put the 1 in but how do I justify buying a new light for this one plant or get a tent and 1000w led move big bertha to it but then I would need another intake and exhaust. If I’m not worried about smell I could pull off a cheap exhaust fan for now but this bitch smells and last month the landlord stpoped by and I was out back and we met in the garage but they are kinda hid just looks like a cabinet but if not for the carbon charcoal filter it could have gotten ugly fast so I’m not really comfortable doing a tent right now lol ughhh got a lot of thinking to do

I’m not really sure on the gnat probablem. Air flow, fly strips, and DE all seem reasonable preventatives. They should dwindle in a while.