Grrrr This is pissing me off

I’m getting very frustrated. Seed popped in filtered water Ph-ed to5.5 and splash of h2o2. Germination went as planned. I placed seed root down in solo cup with drain holes in bottom using Jiffy seed starting mix + pearlight flushed to around 5.5 coming out the bottom. The part that is frustrating is I can get the primary and secondary leafs to come out but that’s as far as I get.
Home made tent using silver lined bubble material. Lights are 4 42W CFL 6500K. There is a fan in one corner of the tent blowing through an opening in the corner. I seems like the medium never dries out. I’ll send pics later. Oh yeah ILGM white widow. I don’t know how to get humidity to raise above 50%. I’m not ready to install a humidifier until I get some feedback. What am I missing?

Get a meter to measure temp and humidity get fans inside tent and get humidifier.

What’s happening after secondary leaves?
Are they getting a withered look? Especially in the stalk?
Or are they just stalling?
If it appears they quit growing then their probably just growing roots😎
@barry1

3 Likes

Meter is in place right next to solo cup. I’m only growing one plant at a time until…
I found a humidifier and is inside the grow area. I’ll have to order another fan. The one I have quits when I point it straight up. Thanks for the info.

The leaves look withered stalk seems ok to my untrained eye. I’ll wait an hour or so and let you know if the humidifier helps. Thanks again.

These guys have gave you some good advice as for perilite how much are you mixing in also what really stands out for the pots not drying out the honestly to me indicates they are getting over watered. Especially if they make it to the second set of true leaves and wilt or have any signs in leaves overall if the medium stays moist then it could potentially lead to root damage.

When they are seedling you should be misting them not watering directly until they have Atleast 3-4 sets of leaves and if they stop growing for a minute and show no signs of stress then it is very likely they are working on root development to get strong healthy roots to be able to take the water directly

4 Likes

About 20% perlite trying to keep it at the bottom of the cup. I guess I won’t know until transplanting. Misting only. Water only. And, yes good advice. I’m glad I joined this forum.

Try mixing it through the medium rather than leaving it in the bottom of the cup it will actually help aerate the medium better also helping it dry quicker

2 Likes

I’ll be sure to do that next time. I think it’s a little late for that now :smirk:

Yea definitely was more for future reference lol but that will certainly make a difference

About how old from sprout so you get? It sounds like to me that you are over watering? From sprout all they really need is some foliar spray and spray the soil to keep it moist. If that is soil less, bump up the pH to 5.8 and they will like that better than 5.5.

Maybe add more holes to the cup as well. Here is what I am starting mine in:

You can make the holes with a soldering iron, works great!

5 Likes

@barry1
I’m with the fellas here sounds like you over watering or have ooor drainage in the cups
I also do holes like @bob31 in sides and bottom of container/ cups I use a drill bit for mine ?
Also just mist the sprout and medium for the first week or so

After keeping everything on overnight I think things maybe turning the corner. At least it didn’t look dead this morning. One of the secondary leaf tips doesn’t look good, but that’s better than all of it looking dead. I believe the humidifier is helping my situation. Thanks @Fever.
@bob31. I usually get about a week to 9-10 days past sprouting before it goes downhill. I really do like the way you put holes in the cup. That holes coming down the side should help me know where the water level is. I like it.
The saga continues… This time with the same plant. Cheers everyone for you input.

2 Likes

Good morning (or whatever it is in your part of the world) My pitiful little plant is a bit happier but not bigger (patience grasshopper) When I checked my plant today my humidifier ran out of water last night.
Where should I point my fan? It’s blowing the mist from the humidifier and is causing water to drip down the side of the silver bubble wrap aka tent. I need to regulate that better. Should I leave it running if the lights are out? I should start a log but still waiting for it to grow some.
I found my soldering pencil and will make a couple of new cups like @bob31. I added about a shot glass of RO water Ph-ed to 5.9 as suggested.
Temp is 80F and Humidity is 60%… for now. Seems to fluctuate. I hope it’s the fan. It slows down occasionally so who knows? New fan should be here tomorrow.

Your fan has 2 functions

1. Controlling air temp
  2. Providing CO2 for plant growth,
    So when lights are out, you don’t need CO2 because plants are sleeping. but you may need it on to control temps.
    As for direction, it sounds like your fan is to strong and blowing all the humid air into the side of your tent. Try moving your fan further away from your tent or get a weaker fan. I am using a $10 fan from the local dollar store and its very weak, but works well

Hope this helps

1 Like

The fan will also strengthen the stalk by the gentle motion… all the better to hold those big buds… :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have a new appreciation for Dollar Stores. They had a small 6in desk fan for $10. I ACTUALLY SEE SOME GROWTH!!!
While I was out I got a three way receptacle so now the fan is on the timer with the light.

Great!!! Sounds like the same one I have. Should work well for you

I love the MaxHeadroom movie. I can’t seem to find the original. :angry:

This is eight days of growth. Pitiful, at least I didn’t kill this one. I’m still not happy with the progress. I’m still having trouble stabilizing temp and humidity at the same time. I can get one to come within range but then the other is wacked out.

1 Like