Growfresh spyder cob 400w LED

Fellow herbalists,i don’t know if it’s because these leds are fairly new or cause they’re no good,i just can’t find any constructive info. Has anyone used them or know anything bout em. 400watt spyder cob LED made by growfresh. Cost $495

1 Like

Geez that a lot of money for a 400 watt light @spongefiller

1 Like

Umm, yeah,whole idea of this post to see if got ripped off or if any one has history with this type of light. Hydro guy says you can use it right though to flower,have no knowledge bout LED’s so thought it be good idea talk to you guys

2 Likes

@spongefiller LED Lights aren’t my deal but I just bought a 400 watt COB LED with 200 actual watts and paid $100 on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Spectrum-Light-Innovated-Generation/dp/B01I4NY8KW/ref=sr_1_1?tag=greenrel-20

The light I linked is made by Mars Hydro and is a very reputable company.

But let me tag a couple of guys to guide you better than I can @Niala @Countryboyjvd1971 @BIGE

https://www.amazon.com/Spider-COB-LED-Grow-Light/dp/B017FQJXLS?tag=greenrel-20

There are touting the one you bought as the latest innovation and most powerful 400 Watt COB LED on the market. I believe it is how they worded it.

1 Like

Hey bob31,yeah they make it sound better than snoopdog’s bong.Been doing a bit of snooping myself and this growfresh mob have pattened whole series of these spider cobs. From 90w up to 1600w. They have epistar chips,have no idea if their any good. 3year warrenty though.

1 Like

That light looks nice but from the link I didn’t see the actual watts drawn they say 108 watt per some but is that rated or actual watts ?
Most cob lights will run half of rated power meaning if you have 4 light and they rate the lights get at 400 watts ea light would be running at 50w true but can run up to 100 watt just not as efficiently so I would see if you can find that out
If it was rated at 800 I would think actual watts drawn somewhere around 400 ?
I’m at work right now and can’t do the research myself
Spectrum looks good tho :+1:
Epi star are good just a older technology new cobs are made with cree style cobs but epie star are fine
@spongefiller @bob31

1 Like

Hi mate,apparently they draw bout half,just like you said. 4 lights each 90w. Hydro guy sold me by saying they will work right through to flower. No changing,just keep raising,does this sound right to you. Mate big relief to hear you say chips are ok

2 Likes

When they say 400 watts that is what they are equivalent to. If you look at a package of household cfl of led bulbs it will saw something like 12 watts equivalent to a 60 watt bulb. Its the same principle with these lights.

Ok, I just found it in the product description. They are claiming

##“Actual Power consumption 265 watts”

@Countryboyjvd1971 @spongefiller

1 Like

OK,will it be ok right through all stages,do you think? I realize only 265w, but is that full spectrum at 370-850nm, Also par at 1829.2 umo l and 7280 lumens. Haven’t got a science degree or professorship so FIIK.

1 Like

The light should work fine but since I don’t own one I won’t make any claims to how it works spectrum is good for full grow cycle and yes full spectrum
The price is a little high tho imo
I have the same one bob has and you could get 2 almost 3 of those for one of the ones your looking at and they draw 200 but with 2or 3 you’d have better coverage and more watts good for thought @spongefiller
Thanks @bob31
Ps I just looked at price again and you could get 4-5 of the cob light bob and I have for same price bro

1 Like

It just pisses me off so much when your told by reputable business owner that the light you’ve saved for like the last 6mths is 'THE BOMB" quoting it does this and does that,only to find out he’s full of shit. I understand concept of buyer beware and really should have researched better,but f!#$ me,$500,you would expect to get something better than a square box with 4 glowsticks in it. No offence to you guys,your honesty and candour are very much app. I’ll stick with it and hopefully send some pics when and if harvest time. There’s a lesson in all this somewhere,dont be conned by smooth talking hydro guy while dreaming of massive,resin dripping,roof touching,window smashing trees of epicness. Thanks guys

3 Likes

I wouldn’t go to hard on yourself brother. You may just be ahead of the curve. I look forward to following along if you decide to do a grow journal. I’m sure that light is gonna help you grow some great bud!

2 Likes

Better late then never, @bob31, lol :wink: :innocent:, give 5 minutes time to type :wink:

2 Likes

I’m with @bob31 brother don’t beat yourself up and I’m not say the light is bad brother it looks great :+1: but it just my opinion that price is a bit high that’s all otherwise your good :blush:
I’m sure it will perform well and you’ll have nice harvests so don’t stress it out to much
tag me when you start your journal bro I would love to watch the grow progress :+1:
Where you from bro just curious I’m guessing somewhere in out side the US lol

2 Likes

So, here’s the specs of the spider :

Parameters:
Product Code: S4
Product: Spider COB 4 LED
Case: Black
LED Qty: 4pcs
Chip: Epistar
Market Watts: 360w
Acutal Watts: 200w
AC Input Voltage: 100-240V
Beam Lens Angle: 120 Degree
Lumens: 7280lm
Spectrum: Full
Lifespan: 50,000hrs
Size: 345x345x60mm
Gross Weight: 6.5kg

It’s not a bad light you have @spongefiller, however, you pay way too much… Change your hydro supplier… Do not be hard on you, the shame as to be on your hydro guy or his employee…

You can have the same light at half this price on amazon…

For the light specs, it have a full spectrum, that is good, the 7280 lumens is weak for a COB light , you can expect at least the double of that for the price you pay… The 120° beam angle is most probably the reason why, should be 60° or 90° for a better concentration of light. At that kind of price, you can expect CREE or Citizen Chips On Board (COB) not Epistar… Talking about Epistar, i’m very surprise that the COB is that weak, maybe the driver on that light is the reason, further investigation is needed. For the umols, I have to make futher research as well but it’s seems either high as low depend if it’s the DLI or the PPFD numbers… The life expectansy is low for that price, should be the double (100 000 hours) again, I suspect the driver maybe the cause…

Anyway, like I said, it’s not a bad light, but I am much more critique when that kind of price is involved… And you should be good for a nice growth with it… Since you seem to have already bought it…

Hoping that’s enlighten you a little, and if you need some suggestions, just tag me or bob or CB, we gone a help you with great pleasure,

~Al :v: :innocent:

2 Likes

This is exactly why i posted my problem with you guys,gone from feeling ripped with multiple levels of blood pressure and angina(well maybe not angina),to a certain calmness and feelings of everything’s right with the world(could also be this kush). I know you guys are just trying to make me feel better, but it’s the little things,right.
I’m an aussie so pretty used to people dragging you down,in a good natured type of way. On a pension so i get worked up on silly money outlays,but you guys rock with positive vibes and very appreciative of views Here’s to provin can make it work,and Niala can’t believe how much time put into helping me
You to@bob31 and @Countryboyjvd1971,don’t even know if tagged you guys properly slowly sliding down to floor,been long day, Goodnight guys

4 Likes

Lol, good to see that you are feeling better :grinning::+1:, It’s always a pleasure to help a fellow grower :grinning: :innocent:

So, you’re an aussie, grow fresh is an aussie compagny too, it explain in part the price you pay :wink:… It’s late for you, between 22h30 and 1h30, lol… So goodnight… @spongefiller

~Al :v: :innocent:

2 Likes

@spongefiller super there are a bunch of you guys on here as well very cool
Have a great night talk soon
Ever need anything just tag a few of us
@Niala @bob31 myself we all are willing to help
No worries all will be well :+1:

3 Likes

So just aquick update for you guys,@bob31, and@niala, went back and had heart to

heart with mt hydro friend (yes,call him friend now) and he gave me upgraded

spider+,800w as a swapover for that 360w coblight i was having hard time with.

Just proves if you approach store owner with good intentions (and a gun in pocket)

sometimes magic happens.

Thanks again for input guys

5 Likes

For some reason this just popped up in my view! Glad to hear that! Best Wishes! @spongefiller