Gold Leaf looked stunted, what am I doing wrong?

A customer has a question or concerns and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

"I purchased 5 Gold leaf seeds. All 3 germinated at the same time. All have been given the same nutrients and light. Problem is they are all different sizes. I’m confused as to why the other 2 look stunted. I can send a picture if needed.

These are the seeds we purchased. They all germinated at the same time. The ph is between 5.5 and 6.5, the nutrient level is the same, the light is 22" from the plant. What am I doing wrong? Also please explain the yellow leaves. I will try and be as thorough as possible:

• Strain (type, bag seed):- Green Leaf
  • Soil in pots, hydroponic, or coco?: - Hydroponically
  • PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?: -5.8-6.2
  • What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS: 50% strength
  • Indoor or outdoor: Indoor
  • Light system, size?: 1000W
  • Temps day, night: 72 degrees
  • Humidity day, night 90 to 95 %
  • Ventilation system (yes/no, size): yes, carbon filter and inline fan to the light
  • AC, humidifier, de-humidifier?: no
  • Co2 (yes/no): yes, homemade co2 with sugar and yeast

@ILGM.Becky not sure about hydro, but 90-95% humidity is very high

2 Likes
  1. Light is going right into reservoir, and causes algae to grow and stifle the roots ability to uptake Oxygen.

2. As mentioned; Humidity is too high for veg cycle. It should be 55-65% in veg. 95% is OK for propagation (germination and rooting), but way too high for plants with established roots.

3. I do not believe in 1/2 strength nutrient solution. What does the manufacturer instructions tell you to do?

Plants do not look bad overall, and light intensity can and will make plants stay tight and compact. Make usre you lamp is as close as possible but, to stretch tem, you can raise the fixture a couple inches.

Sometimes a deficiency will look like an excess too, I’ve read. As Latewood said, bump up your nutrients.

You might also try to hold closer to the 5.8 number. That might affect strains differently. If you can get a nutrient chart for your nutes, I would use the tds numbers and mix for whatever target value you’re after using the meter.

Pretty girls!

Ph should be 5.8
Temp of reservoir?

You definitely need to get those baskets full of Hydroton! I’m guessing your res temps are probably very high, combined with the light leaking in you’re going to have a very hard time keeping those ladies healthy.

Customer has a follow up question and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

“One of my plants just started dying. The root ball is massive in size. All three have been getting the same nutes and light. We have a total of 3 green leafs that are a week into the flowering stage. What could bring about the sudden changes and cause the plant to start dying?”

1 Like

Did any of the expert advice get followed? That should be ascertained before any further diagnosis is attempted.

1 Like