Girl Scout & Gold Leaf!

Well sir if it where me and I had to make the same decision I think I would take them early if they are mostly milky I think you’ll still have a good smoke on your hands once cured proper
And since it sounds like the weather not going to change for the good I would cut your losses and get it hung
But that’s me bro I will tell you what you’ve worked to hard to loose them now let me know how you make out bro and what you decide to do

4 Likes

Sounds like if you get that house you mentioned in another post you’ll have a better situation down the line.
I live in a rural area with a population density of 11 people /sq km so you can grow cannabis hidden in plain sight right in your vegetable garden.
It’s legal to cultivate 6 plants per person in a household here as of Nov 2016 so I think the backyard grow is going to become a more common thing in spite of the short growing season.

2 Likes

Cheers for the input bro, Im tossing it up and I think I might be able to squeeze a couple more days in. Sun tomorrow, big southerly with 40knot winds hitting thursday, 50+mm of rain, then friday saturday looking like its just cloudy and a bit of sun, then sunday the week of rain and cold kicks in properly. So I might just tarp up thursday, and give them that couple extra days then pull saturday arvo. Thats best case scenario anyway. Im with you on the early pull. I dont think it’ll be worth leaving them up once the rain kicks in, with constant cloud and a clear tarp over them which does shade them a bit still, I dont think the UV would be strong enough to warrant much growth anyway

2 Likes

Now that my friend, sounds like heaven… I hope Aus one day will adopt some sensible laws and allow the same, but I dont see it happening for the foreseeable future. Ill be looking forward to you growing some backyard monsters! If its a short growing season, autos are the way to go :+1: Some of the ILGM autos I’ve seen people grow are just amazing, buds bigger than my arm

2 Likes

On a plus note, the dehumidifier has got the RH levels down to around 65%, which is pretty good considering the outside RH (80-90) and the size of the room I’m drying in (about 10x5 metres),

1 Like

That’s going to be a huge benefit. I see @Countryboyjvd1971 point if your outdoor conditions are not expected to improve before too long. I just hope for a dry Autumn here in the northern hemisphere come Oct.
I don’t think I can get autos big enough. I started 2x as many bag seed as I wanted to harvest inside in mid-late March most of my grows and force flowering of cuttings to sex indoors and yank the corresponding males before they sexed in the field. On the recommendation of a new friend, I purchased Sour Diesel and Bubba Kush clones for my last grow in 2015. It yielded way more than I expected.
I discovered ILGM in January 2017 and got eager. I started in Feb this season. Also threw down the Outdoor SCROG Challenge last week.

3 Likes

Well I say keep them out as long as possible bro if you think you can and if the weather turns you can always take them down but only once hahahaha

2 Likes

I agree with CB, go day by day.

the buds not mold prone you might want to try and mature longer…the best part of an outdoor grow is the size of the harvest, if you lose some buds there are plenty more but every loss is traumatic.

as the buds get bigger there are more places for mold to take hold.

look for mold resistant strains for your next grow.

4 Likes

That’s some good advice @kabongster

1 Like

Indica dominant like Blueberry tend to have very good mold resistance and yield a bit smaller than stativa’s yes but tighter nodes and buds imo

2 Likes

That outdoor grow spot looked amazing, love the set up. Did you have any animal issues with it not being fenced off?
Love the look of that greenhouse grow too, ill be sure to follow along looks like your gonna have a huge crop in there! cheers for sharing :+1::v:

2 Likes

Cheers for the input @kabongster and I think me you and @Countryboyjvd1971 on the same page there, ill be going out daily to check on them and I do a pretty thorough mold check every time. the only problem now is the mosquitoes… its like nothing I’ve ever seen before, all that water has made a breeding ground for them, my record now is 6 kills with one slap… and yet I keep forgetting to put repellant on lol
Thursday is the only day with proper heavy rain, 50-100mm. Ill tarp up this arvo and weather out the storm for a couple days of cloudy sun, then keep a close eye on them for the next week of scattered showers and unfortunately, no sun.
Overnight its gotten to 96% humidity, pretty ridiculous… its a crispy 64 inside

3 Likes

Ive wanted to grow blueberry for a while now but the heavy yielders have always got me in the end. Good to know its mold resistant, maybe even a couple blueberry autos for the future. The tighter denser buds are usually the ones that get mold first, this isnt the case with blueberry you think?

Lil mister mutt’s patrols and my constant presence must be enough to deter them. Also all around me are decent small commercial vegetable farms so the critters have way better stuff to eat than to bother with my crop. It’s 100 yards out my front door to my site so our physical presence out there all the time is probably the biggest deterrent. Regular skeet shooting practice makes enough noise to discourage them too maybe?

4 Likes

Thanks for the compliments too mate. The greenohouse was new this season. I don’t think it will tolerate outdoors very well so I’ll break it down and store it until 2018 or 2019 depending on the harvest. Mrs. WillD works a few PT shifts a week at a vegetable farm right up the road after her full time gig so we don’t bother starting our own vegetable seedlings much anymore. They supply their own restaurant so they don’t always have a surplus of some items like Habaneros and spinach so we do that exclusively ourselves. They have a Solarium at her FT job she and same co workers use a corner of as a greenhouse to start vegetables and do “horticulture therapy” with patients

2 Likes

most indica strains are northern wet weather friendly so have a fairly decent mold resistance they are quite decent yield plants

1 Like

Such a good spot only 100 yards from the front door, what a spot… and your right if they’ve got enough food to munch on I doubt they’d risk coming close to you and the mutt patrol.
Sounds like she’s good a good gig going there. How long did it take you to put that greenhouse together?

Problem with Aus climate is we’ve had the hottest summer on record with countless days over 40C, then got the wettest march on record straight after summer. Its a bit of a mixed bag around here, you never know what your going to get

The greenhouse is just push together cheap ass Chinese steel tubing and 3-4 different style molded plastic connectors. 20-30 minutes maybe. The most time was spent identifying the different connectors and putting each type in a separate box and slipping the skin over it. It was on sale for $49.99 USD on Amazon when I picked it up in January this year,

It was a tad too tall for my cellar ceiling so I had to shorten the 16 of the “risers” supporting the top tier of shelves by 5" with a tubing cutter. I bought a roll of 50" wide reflective mylar film to line the inside and a pair of low wattage 4’ Lithonia T5 grow lights. They take 28W bulbs. It’s really just to start seedlings and keep them healthy until they get in the ground.
Sounds like some weird weather for sure. Hopefully the jet stream take a change in your favor sooner than later.

1 Like

Hey @BondPacker, as your aware I’ve been following your grow for a while through the ups and downs. Its certainly not always a walk in the park growing outdoors, I certainly have found that out myself this season. Really sorry to hear you’ve had so many issues with rain, mold, humidity etc, as we’ve discussed, though in a much smaller scale we have suffered from similar issues… thanks for your advice and input. I really think your tackling your issues with a lot of thought and giving your girls every chance possible. If it was me I would harvest the two and monitor your remaining three, I’m only novice but think there’s a chance you could get through with further maturation of bud. Any sign of increase in bud rot etc I would be removing and if gets too bad rip them. All in all it sounds like you are still going to yield a good amount of awesome bud and I know given your attention to detail and knowledge, your going to have some killer crops in future. I look forward to hearing how things go for you. :sunglasses::+1::pray:

1 Like