Germinating new seeds

The other organic soil, when you get moment post the ingredients of that for me please! @Leyank86

@bob31

1 Like

thats not soil either and it has a bit of nutrients in it so that looks ok, but not really for really young plants. I prefer something more neutral for starting seedlings. I use organic potting soil with perlite. It is just organic potting soil and perlite, nothing else.

If you decide to transplant into that you would really want to do a slurry test to get the proper pH but Iā€™d guess it to be 5.8 as well.

Soiless mixes are ok, just need to be aware that they are not soil and need a different pH but nothing wrong with growing in them! @Leyank86

3 Likes

Hey, can you send me a picture of the soil you use so I know exactly what to get please @bob31

1 Like

if this is available locally it is a good soil that will give you a worry free grow (Not saying it is the absolute best as I donā€™t want to open a debate)

they have it online, but the shipping is expensive

2 Likes

Ok cool. Thank you!! I just ordered some PH up & PH down. And a digital ph tester. I canā€™t find anything in the stores around me right now with the season change. And Iā€™m not sure how accurate the tester I have is. Right now it seems like these girls are at a stand still. They arenā€™t doing much of anything. PH is at 7. And I think the soil needs to dry out someā€¦ Hopefully when I get this ph down I will see some improvement. @bob31

2 Likes

Do you have plenty of holes in those cups? They look too wet to me as well. @Leyank86

I have 4 holes in the bottom and slits on the bottom sides @bob31

To lower the ph of my soil, I use ph down solution right? So what ph do I need to get the water to if my soil ph is at 7?

@Leyank86

How do you know that the soil pH is at 7.0?

The tester I put in the soil reads a 7 @bob31

Please go back and read that and lets have you do the slurry test using the water pH meter

Get a glass. Add an equal part of soil to an equal part of ph 6.0 water and lets see what the pH is after about 15 minutes.

Those prong meters are notorious for their inaccuracy @Leyank86

It should be 5.6 to about 6.1 at the most!

1 Like

K, I did the slurry test. Itā€™s at a 5.5 . Maybe Iā€™m just over thinking everythingā€¦ @bob31

I wasted my money on one of those prong meters too. They should be illegal. Absolutely worthless.

So they next time you water you will want your water to be at a pH of 5.8 and that will keep them happy in the growing medium! @Leyank86

2 Likes

Lol! Ok sounds good. Thank you!! @bob31

2 Likes

@Leyank86 Did your ladies improve? Just wondering how you made out using a soiless soil and if you continued to have ph problems. I have been using coco and while they do survive to harvest, some have gotten ill along the way.

1 Like

Hey @Sixpackdad, my girls are doing good! I did end up transplanting her into the happy frog soil. She is doing really good now. The other plant didnā€™t make itā€¦ canā€™t wait for it to flower!!!

4 Likes

Hey guys! @bob31 so I just started a new seed. The season is a lot warmer now this time. I have notice a lot of spider mites. I do have some bug blaster that came with my start up kit, Iā€™m just worried to use it since Iā€™m in seedling stage. Any advice?

I think @bob31 is gone from ilgm @Leyank86. I use pyrethrins on my plants when in veg to control bugs outside if needed and Neem Oil to keep bugs off in flower.