Fox farms ocean forest soil has bugs in it

I also noticed i left out Neem Oil!

1 Like

I did buy the 3 little bottles from the shop a few months ago maybe Iā€™ll blast em with the bug one. I have not seen any bugs since I covered the top with perlite though. The plant is growing quick too, so maybe all is good. The perlite is making it a bit dusty though. My de also came in today, maybe I should take out the perlite now and drop on the de and use the bug stuff If I see them again.

The DE is fine to stay on. My outside girl.

3 Likes

Ok cool thanks! Just got nervous it was mildew

How much longer on these you think? Flowering about 4 weeks now :grin:

1 Like

See a lot of white. Probably another 4 . Looking good though.

1 Like

@bob31 @Oldstoner what is DE

1 Like

D.E. is Diatomaceous Earth and to a insect is the equivalent of us crawling through broken glass . If it is food grade itā€™s completely safe for human consumption also . Probably tastes awful but safe . @Royc

1 Like

Here a link @Royc

1 Like

I ordered, through Walmart online for 10.99 thank you @Countryboyjvd1971

1 Like

Food grade, but different brand. @Countryboyjvd1971

1 Like

Very cool was just putting the info out bro
Many uses for the DE just make sure its food grade just repeating that cant stress that enough bro

1 Like

A fast inexpensive and very capable antiimite and gnat spray that doesnā€™t harm your plants is 50% rubbing alcohol and water., believe it or not. I tried it one year when I had an indoor citrus tree and it was the ONLY thing that killed them.

The spider mites die from it at once, their eggs maybe not. But the next time you see them, or in two or three days, mist the plant(s) again. Do this for a week and a half and I doubt you will see them come back at allā€¦

The rubbing alky evaporates quickly, so it harms nothing. The water is good for the plants in veggie cycle.

2 Likes

To raise an old thread but an important one.

Has anyone grown with smart pots and a couple inches of play sand on top?

Would this be enough? Because the plant would breath and dry out and the bugs canā€™t burrow through the sand.
Does one really need food grade DE? mixed in with the soil?

You need to put a bunch of sand on the top of your plants so the water doesnā€™t displace it all and get. Mixed into the soil and doing this with fine and more expensive DE I would like to avoid if I can.

1 Like

@Nicky
You can try the sand others have had good success using it youā€™ll only need about a inch of sand on top if you do
No you donā€™t need food grade de mixed in with soil if you use food grade de you would want to use it as a topp dressing on top of the soil
A light dusting is all you need and you would use that to treat a big infestation dusting the leaves also help if you have other types of bugs other than fugas nates

Fugas Nates are a issue when you over water your soil FYI
If you water till run off then wait until pot is dry before watering again this will help prevent a out break to begin with

They need damp soil to lay their eggs and if it drys out they canā€™t lay eggs

If thereā€™s any other questions let us know

2 Likes

Why not just leave a couple inches of sand on it all the time and pour water slow so you never get gnats.
I had gnats when I was learning my humidity and over watered but now have a bag of ocean forest and all I have been reading is people with Bute burns and gnat issues so they want to go to promix HP and give nutes but I donā€™t want to use nutes yet still grow healthy plants. Ideally ide just want to add water.

1 Like

@Nicky you can do that if you wish
As I mentioned if you donā€™t over water you wonā€™t deal with the Nateā€™s in most cases
I personally use the promix bx itā€™s a great medium
And ffof soil is a good medium if you donā€™t wish to feed the plants
Keep the ph in check youā€™ll do fine
Most will start feeding in flower even using the ffof FYI
Most organic soils will have the potential to have bugs itā€™s just natural

You can try baking the soil in the sun for a few days prior to use the kill any larve that may or may not be inside the soil
Donā€™t follow mfg feeding schedules when you do use nutes just mix according the week your in and feed once a week and monitor ppm before you feed again anyway Iā€™m getting off topic

New to site but I will tell you one thing. Of the people I get smoke from around here I can taste the fox in the bud i smoke. I donā€™t know if it is from improper last flushing or what but I donā€™t buy from folks who use fox anymore.

@monkman that most likely is due to improper flushing or over feeding either case welcome to the forum
Happy growing :v:CB
I use Remo nutrients myself and promix bx as a meduim

1 Like

I donā€™t have actual proof, but since Iā€™ve been using ffof Iā€™ve had fungus gnats on every grow.
Iā€™ve always cleaned and sterilized my tents between grows, and at this point, Iā€™m fairly certain Iā€™m not overwatering.

As far as harsh tastes from fox farm soils, Iā€™ll blame that on improper flushing. I taste only deliciousness.

2 Likes