Fox farms ocean forest soil has bugs in it

Nice let me know how it works out bro
Pick up some sticky fly traps as well put a few inbtentvif you have lots of nates that will help stop them as well brother and of course so DE dusted in top of soil also helps but need stonbe reapplied once in a while

1 Like

Ok so food grade de right? Iā€™m gonna buy it off Amazon now and find some fly traps. This happened in my last soil grow a few years ago and they got nasty. But this is day one and Iā€™ve a lot more knowledge than back then lol. Iā€™m hitting them head on this time.

1 Like

Either that or its going in the trash lol

I see de bug killer and the food grade too

1 Like

Yes sir food grade you. And get a 10 lbs bag with duster on Amazon for like 20$

1 Like

Awsome just purchased it. Thanks for the help!

1 Like

@Noctis420 I also added in my watering a 1/4 ratio of 3% hydrogen peroxide for a couple of weeks. It is supposed to kill the soil nats from the oxygen. Using multiple methods to get rid of them is the best way. The sand on top will prevent any nats from burrowing in to lay eggs and prevent any bugs from burrowing out. Plus the de powder mixed in with the soil I didnā€™t have any problems with my auto grow. It was easier than expected to get rid of them. Iā€™m using the ffof soil again. Hope this helps :grin:

2 Likes

Oh sound advice. Next watering Iā€™ll add peroxide. I added a layer of perlite on top and removed the sand so it can dry up since I taped up the drain holes it probably would of locked in the moisture and made it worse. Once itā€™s dried I will water with the peroxide and throw de on top. If all else fails itā€™s trash.

2 Likes

@Noctis420 the idea is to allow the soil to dry out. Taping up the means for the water to drain is the opposite of what you want. The water needs to drain and the soil needs to get air. If they stay like that youā€™re going to have a whole different set of issues.

3 Likes

Yeah Iā€™m gonna cut holes in the tape in the morning. Iā€™m not going to water for a few more days though. I didnā€™t intend to water with the tape on, just trying to shut down the gnats.

1 Like

@bob31 makes a good point @Noctis420 allowing the soil to dry out also prevents them they need moist soil to lay the eggs so give your soil a few days to dry out in between waterings and feedings :+1: Allowing the top couple inches to dry out

1 Like

So I poked holes all around the bottom. Also the plant actually grew a good amount too. No bugs on top just perlite and sand, it doesnā€™t look to bad just a little dusty from the perlite. Blocking my face not to breath it in. Continuing to dry her out. Not doing to bad overall.

Sounds good keep it s posted @Noctis420
Pics help too hahaha

Yeah they do haha im going to check on it in a little while Iā€™ll post a pic when i do :grin:

I have bugs in my soil to and didnā€™t know why until I called the place that made it and come to find out they are good to have not sure about youā€™re soil or not but as for the stuff I use they are good for eating all the bad fungus and whatnot @Macadon hope this helps in some way. My bag also had holes for them to breath so thatā€™s another reason I figured they was ok to have they are little all black with an orange stripe and the bellies are all white.

1 Like

The bugs I had looked like little fleas I assume they were soil nats and I had flying nats all around. They were grey. And the others were fungus knats. at first theyā€™re werenā€™t many but then they multiplied quick. I think they went in the soil and laid eggs thatā€™s why I took so many different ways to get rid of them ill have to look into the ones that are good. I imagine earthworms are

1 Like

I actually put 3 earthworms in my soil as well and havent had not one problem man. Hopefully things work out for you as well my friend.

2 Likes

Would the worms help get rid of the gnats? I know these ugly things are no good. Im assuming when I watered they hatched :unamused:, but i canā€™t be certain. They are grey, kind of long with clear wings, they are no good.

Worms normally only eat dead bugs and whatnot however tho they do have bug controll at https://shop.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com also @TokersHaven maybe able to give you some valuable information as well.

1 Like

Fly traps work for already hatched, DE food grade for top of soil and leaves and break up mosquito dunks and put in your water for a couple of waterings. Fungus gnats easy to rid of. Spider mites not so muchā€¦

1 Like