Flavor, Taste and Guano in Cannabis Growing

I know this is a subject that has been kicked around many times but since our population is always growing, I thought this might be a good time to slide this topic in again.

BAT GUANO USE IN CANNABIS GROWING

Found this information that may give you some guidance to using bat guano. There are several types of Guano.

Bat guano comes in different types. The N-P-K ratio of the guano is dependent on what the type of bat it came from and what it’s diet consists of. For instance, Mexican bats eat bugs so their guano is high in nitrogen. While Jamaican bats feed on fruit, so their guano is high in phosphorus. Lets explore some different types of guano and their application.

Mexican Bat Guano (10-2-1). This type of guano is very high nitrogen. This makes it perfect for the vegetative stages of growth. Even when the plant is young it can be fed a dilute mixture if the soil happens to contain very little nutrients. This type of guano can be used throughout the vegetative stage of growth.

Peruvian Seabird Guano (10-10-2) This type of guano is NOT bat guano. It comes from Peruvian seabirds and is very “hot”, meaning it will burn plants very easily if prepared incorrectly or over applied. Not good for flowering due to high nitrogen content.

Jamaican Bat Guano (1-10-0.2) This type of bat guano is high in phosphorus. It is perfect for the early-mid flowering cycle once females are well established. I have also found several types of Jamaican that have no nitrogen at all and I have to say is, that crop was the tastiest crop I have ever grown.

Indonesian Bat Guano (0.5-12-0.2) This type of guano is the ultimate low-nitrogen, high-phosphorus bat guano. It is perfectly suited for the end of the flowering cycle before the final flush. This drops nitrogen levels low to cut growth and signal the autumn harvest as well as provide a huge resource of phosphorus to bulk up buds and add to trichome count.

As you can see, ideally you use Jamaican for early to mid flowering and Indonesian for late flowering. This is the best answer I can come up with. Hope it helps. Good luck on your grow.

14 Likes

i’ looking to try using some guano tea in a organic grow coming up soon jerry… i’ll tag you in when i start thread/journal.

@TxGrowman

4 Likes

Great post with good info… thanks for that @TxGrowman

2 Likes

Any idea what kind of guano Fox Farms uses in their Big Bloom mix? I don’t see anything Fox Farms Website

I am using that in alternation with Tiger Bloom right now through blooming.

Sorry, I have no Idea I do not use Fox Farms.

@nostril this is what’s on the bottle, it doesn’t give a specific species of bat guano. It says seabird guano also. Need any other pictures tag me no worries.

2 Likes

I would make sure you look at the opening paragraph. Seabird Guano can be tough on new plants and older ones if the dose isn’t right. Also not good for flowering !

1 Like

I’ve emailed them to see if we can get specifics. I may lay off using this if it is the Peruvian stuff.

1 Like

Very cool info thanks!!

1 Like

I worked this in between feedings on my first grow and the girls seemed to love itUploading…

3 Likes

I never received a response from my email to Fox Farm, so I called them directly today and spoke with a product manager for Big Bloom. He told me that they do not use fresh bat guano in that product, but instead use rock phosphate from caves where bats are no longer active. They do this for ethical reasons.

He could not tell me the sources of the rock phosphate, but since this product is effectively solely phosphate and other minerals, it shouldn’t impact nitrogen balance in flowering plants. My research tells me that it’s most effective on acidic soils and is not as available in alkaline soils. Since we strive for slightly acidic soil with our crop, this seems ideal.

An interesting aside from the marketing material for Big Bloom (not sure how or if this has been quantified, so take it with a grain of salt):

Best of all, Big Bloom® will intensify flower fragrance, and it will increase essential oil production, which means stronger flavors in herbs, fruits, and vegetables.

Boy, that sounds good, doesn’t it? :smiley:

2 Likes