First timer looking for some assistance PLEASE

I soaked my seeds(8) for 24 hours and they started to sprout. I got Black Magic growing soil from HD.
Planted over 5 days ago and only two have sprouted. the lights were about a foot above them (LED)
How much should they grow a week? It doesn’t look like they are growing at all. Now I have these tiny bugs that look like a speck of dirt too small to really even see. Help

1 Like

Hi @LindaCari

Could you please post some pictures of your setup?

Black Magic is a rebranded peat moss, not a new product and used to be called Scott’s brand peat. I have heard about bug problems with it. Usually fungus gnats. I have not heard anything bad about how the plants grow it it yet. You may need to get some food grade diotomaceous earth and cover the top with about two inches of it to keep the bugs down. Neem oil and yellow cards help too.

If two seeds are planted and one is an eight inch deeper in the soil than the other it can add days to the seedling coming up. Once up and given good light and gentle watering it should be about a week per new node for a while.

@LindaCari What are the ingredients listed on the bag of Black magic? And Yes, pics will help. PH is important. Make sure you keep them 78 degrees and domed to keep the humidity high!

Also let’s have you fill this out, please

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

How many plants:

Age from Sprout and Flower:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

Indoor or Outdoor:

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

1 Like

thank you!

Here’s a pic of my indoor plant, I’m wondering if it’s a male or female

2 Likes

@Lenardt it has pistils, it is a girl. But you should be posting in your own topic and not hijacking another members topic.

http://ilgmforum.com/c/indoor/the-grow +New Topic in the upper right and post your questions, or navigate to the correct category and post, but please respect other members topics.

@bob31 thanks & sorry I’m a first time user on this site

2 Likes

no worries! Start a new topic and ask any questions you have. Bunch of us here willing to help out. @Lenardt welcome to ILGM and look forward to seeing what ya got going!

1 Like

I dont know why i was sent this

1 Like

@LindaCari I was replying to the other member that posted on your topic. You are all set. :grinning::+1::v::palm_tree:

ok lol I would never have been able to help him

ok, no problem. He started his own topic and we are getting him on track!

Give it a few months and folks will be askin you for help and you will know what to say. This is a great place for learning at your own pace. As they grow you can post pics and get advice. Also, if you haven’t already, take a tour of the guides section and download the Grow Bible.

The Grow Journals section of the forums will entertain you for days all by itself. Lots of examples of every kind of Grow.

Black Magic lists itself as a soilless medium so we may need to make some adjustments down the road with the calcium and magnesium levels but that’s a bit away. I will be interested in how it goes as I have a huge bail of the same stuff I have been avoiding using since I am so sold on Fox Farms Ocean Forest for my grows.

4 Likes

Its female

1 Like

I’m in same boat look like moths indoor grow are they doing damage

@LindaCari FYI my first 2 grows I used Black Magic soil. It’s good stuff. My impression is that it’s not as hot as FFOF. Maybe more like Happy Frog.

Based on the gnat problem you are over watering. You will drown the seedlings doing that. They need only a teaspoon or so twice a day. The rest of the soil should be very dry! This is the primary reason to plant in starter pots.

But let’s wait for the support ticket.

If you would be kind enough to tell us what size pot and what your watering practices have been that would help.

I have them in 3 gallon buckets and a friend told me I needed to water at least twice a day and soak soil. I’m not listening to that friend anymore. lol I did get the diatomaceous and mixed with the soil in the buckets that did not take.
Can I take seedlings that are about 2" out of big pot and put in cup? Im worried about the bugs and
one looks really good after I put a dome on it. The soil at the bottom of these buckets never dried out, even with holes in bottom. I want to try the clothe buckets. Maybe better drainage?
Thoughts?

1 Like

Yeah, in fact that’s safer to get the seedlings out of the wet soil. Solo cups with a ton of holes in the bottom AND SIDES! will be perfect for the first month. A small garden trowel and being very careful will work. Put a fan on them to air out and when they look like they’re dried out give them a teaspoon of 6.5 ph water morning and evening. Ph your water daily.

2 Likes

Don’t listen to friend. Seedlings need very little water. I have found this out the hard way by ruining 2 blueberry autos. That’s $20 I threw away by listening to “friends”. I would advise getting a mister if you don’t have one. I mist my seedlings a couple of times a day and it does real good until transplant.

2 Likes