First indoor grow: SCROG Gold Leaf and Chocolope

Well, I’ve harvested my first grow - two outdoor Super Silver Haze plants, and it was so much fun that I’m starting the next round. First, some background.

Grow room: 2’x4’x6’7" Gorilla Lite
Light: Advanced Platinum P300 LED
Grow medium: Fox Farm Ocean Forest (Soil)
Grow pots: 3 Gallon Fabric
Ventilation: Vivosun 4" 203CFM inline fan and charcoal filter

I’ve soaked and germinated two ILGM seeds: Gold Leaf and Chocolope. They sprouted taproots today and I’ve transferred them to small soil pots. I’ll start them the same way I started my outdoor seeds - under an LED shop light. That is, until my tent is free of drying duties in about 5-6 days, at which time I’ll transfer them over and put them under my grow light. I could theoretically use my grow light for the first days if someone thinks that’s a better idea. I had solid results on my first grow, and I’m doubtful the sprouts will have much time to absorb the light anyway.

I plan to SCROG. My goals are:

6-8 weeks veg (18/6)
8-9 weeks flowering (12/12)
6-8oz total dried herb between the two strains

Both strains are pretty heavy producers, so hopefully I have realistic goals.

Any feedback is welcome… thanks.

8 Likes

Sounds good. Some folks even use a CFL for sprouts, so I think your shoplight is fine. I think you veg until your SCROG is filled, not according to some schedule. That will take more time if you have more area to fill. I would do some FIMing or topping to get them spread out to fill up the SCROG screen. A SCROG doesn’t do much good if you just have one stem under it.

Once the plants are into flowering I would cut out all the understory: Lollypopping.

3 Likes

@1BigFella, I realize I will veg until the net is full (or just shy of full), I just am hoping for a 6-8 week time period for that. All of those numbers are goals, but I don’t plan to short veg or flower until they’re done!

Thanks for your tips. I will definitely clear the understory, and continue to update the thread. Photos once the girls break ground.

They’re up!

1 Like

Things are moving along. I had to leave my plants for 7 days due to emergency and they became quite limp and rootbound in their cups. They are in fabric pots and recovering nicely now. I’ve topped once. I also built a PVC scrog frame - it is 24” off the ground, 16” above plant base. Is that too high?

Chocolope on the left, Gold Leaf on right.

5 Likes

Both plants continue to recover. The new leaves on Gold Leaf are coming in greener, and I’ve trimmed the bottom two very yellow leaves. Visible progress every morning when I check on them.

We are heading into cool weather and I don’t have a good setup for warmth. Currently I’m using a 3 gallon bucket of water with an aquarium feeder in it, and that’s kept me above 59F each night. It’ll be interesting to see how well it does in the cold snap, especially with my fan running 24/7. I am inverting my day/night cycle so that the lights are on overnight. So far, that’s helped.

Photos in a few days as things progress.

2 Likes

I have some concerns that my plants are too low and bushy for doing a scrog. I raised my light a bit (was at 18", now at 24"). I’ve topped twice (four main colas developing on each plant). Any feedback is appreciated. I just want to make sure I don’t have a squat bush that doesn’t reach the scrog net.

2 Likes

They’re growing. Still not getting a ton of height, though the Gold Leaf appears to be moving more rapidly than Choco.

2 Likes

Maybe move the light closer?

@Whodat66 I always understood that the closer and more intense the lights were, the less the plants “stretched,” and the weaker and higher they were, the more they stretched. Maybe I’ve got it wrong?

Either way, the plants look very healthy and vital, and are putting height and size on each day. As they get more leaves to absorb the light, they should continue to grow. I think I’m going to wind up vegging these for about 10 weeks counting from seed, though. Not a big deal, I guess.

1 Like

I guess my thinking is that if the above method isn’t doing what you want, change something. I think they look great.

If you want some real insight, read some old issues of High Times (before LED’s and CFL’s) and look at the concept, rather than the gear. The basic “more light is better” as long as it doesn’t burn the plants seems to be a constant.

Maybe drop it a few inches, see if that makes a difference after a few days, or just let it go. I noticed that when I topped mine, there was a few days of nothing, then she started growing like a weed (pun intended) :wink:

3 Likes

5 Likes

I hit both plants with a reduced (50%) dose of Grow Big. That was Friday. Today I am seeing this on Gold Leaf. Looks like nutrient burn, yes? I have already flushed and have also raised my light (was at 18”, now at 24”). Thoughts?

Chocolope looks fine and happy.

@bob31, @Countryboyjvd1971 etc. Thanks.

1 Like

What are you using for water? Almost looks like mag deficiency. If you’re using ro, distilled, soft, or filtered water you would typically need to supplement some calmag. They look a little dark too, that could be nitrogen or watering issue, but usually stems from ph being out of range. Hard to say from a pic, your best bet will be to fill out support ticket.

As far as growth goes, I suspect the multiple toppings to be the culprit there. Couple that with ph being out of whack or any issue, and you’ll see them stall out.

2 Likes

Water is slightly alkaline well water. I’ve got a glass bulb soil pH meter and will double check the soil pH, but it has been ideal to date.

I wouldn’t put too much stake in the color from those photos. They were taken through the lens of my UV/LED light glasses with the lights on, then color adjusted with my iPhone to make the burned areas more clear. In natural light the plants have healthy color.

The burned areas showed overnight. They were not there yesterday morning. Temperatures were cool last night so the tent may have dipped into the 40s. I don’t know if that’s related.

I’m within 8" of the net now and things are moving along much more quickly. No more topping, I should have enough spread to fill my scrog out nicely.

Thanks for the feedback.

2 Likes

That definitely will play into the color of the pics. What are you using for light? Whatever is going on with them seems to be happening at lower leaves as well, no? That’s not usually consistent with light damage. Light damage usually starts at closest parts to the light, and almost looks like the plant starting to bleach.

What has the ph been? And do you have a meter to check suspended solids?

Hey, nice plants! Several things I see that might help: Gold Leaf in veg for 2 months is going to need WAY more soil than 3 gallon. I’m growing 2 right now and they’re insane. I’ll get between 8 and 12 ounces from each plant.

Soil testers are notoriously inaccurate. A good digital ph meter and the slurry method when you want to measure soil ph which is rarely. Ph 6.5 water in soil always. Calibrate frequently.

The light spectrum will contribute to bushy plant growth. Not necessarily a bad thing indoors IMO.

I would strongly suggest you separate your SCROG so you can deal with individual plants. Trust me on this. You want to be able to remove or rotate your plants, particularly for flushes.

3 Likes

Outdoor photos not color adjusted. Gold Leaf first, Choco second.

1 Like

Let’s start with a support ticket @nostril I think there are at least three things going like the others noted, but we need to get all of the current facts together.

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

How many plants:

Age from Sprout and Flower:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Medium & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

What brand and products of Nutrients are you using? Strength and how often?

Indoor or Outdoor:

Indoor type and size of grow area or tent?

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

Also here is a Deficiencies & Excesses Chart to help you identify what is wrong with your plants

These are must haves for every grower. These are examples of what you need!

Apera pH Meter

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01ENFOHN8/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?tag=greenrel-20

ph and tds meters

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IEJOI9S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?tag=greenrel-20

ph meter only

https://www.amazon.com/Hydroponic-Nutrient-Calibration-Solution-Included/dp/B00PECAQ12/ref=sr_1_6?tag=greenrel-20

ph up & Down

7.0 calibration fluid

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001D0CKYK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=greenrel-20

1500 ppm TDS Test Solution

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TNAA5W/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?tag=greenrel-20

2 Likes