First Grow From Beginning to End

With the FIMming it’s important that you do not cut the central mother cells of the shoot apical meristem or you’ll say FIM, lol :wink: :innocent: :v:

So, I suggest that you locate it by gently open the shoot and new leaves and procede with a loupe or something that magnify enough (30×)

IMG_20180215_121340

Hope that’s will helping you @merlin44

~Al :v: :innocent:

4 Likes

Excellent information, Al. This does help. I have both a handheld microscope (sort of) and a digital microscope (60X - 1000X) arriving in a day or so. That should get me in close enough to see what I a supposed to do. “Old Guy Eyes” need all of the help they can get.

Everyone on the forum are eager to assist…that makes learning this new activity much easier and, ultimately, less costly. Thank you everyone.@Donaldj @dbrn32 @Flyr @neckNflu @ReMoLu @Rugar89
@Myfriendis410 @Countryboyjvd1971 @garrigan62 @highcountrygal and anyone that I have forgotten.:ok_man:

7 Likes

You’re welcome :grinning::innocent:

We just trying to help a fellow grower :wink:

1 Like

Any time @merlin44 thats what we are here for to help other learn :+1:
@Niala
Once again Al great explanation and pictures :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks buddy :grinning: :+1:, as your’s are too John :grinning::+1::ok_hand:

2 Likes

@merlin44, looks like you’re in great hands Merlin

2 Likes

Al, is FIM’ing and Topping something that I will do just once at 5 or 6 nodes? Or, will it be something that should be done more than once. Also, what is the cost and benefit of FIM’ing and/or Topping at 5 vs 6 or even more nodes?
@Donaldj @dbrn32 @Flyr @Niala @neckNflu @ReMoLu @Rugar89
@Myfriendis410 @Countryboyjvd1971 @garrigan62

2 Likes

You can do it more than once keep in mind every time you do there will be a short recovery of a week or two before they take off again
There are other training techniques
Look into LST training
Or super cropping which is a high stress technique just not as stressful as fimming or topping
All will help you control your hieght and keep a more even canopy
I personally only top or fim once

3 Likes

I have read about LST and was thinking that would be quite beneficial after they go into their final pots.

I am also very interested in Super Cropping although I am not entirely sure what parts I have read are actually Super Cropping and what parts are something else. I think that I have plenty of time to learn about that before any decision must be made. Thanks @Countryboyjvd1971, as always.:writing_hand:

1 Like

Awesome :clap: @merlin44
Yeah most training will be done once in forever home
I actually top mine usually at the same time I transplant into the forever homes sometimes ill give them a few day to adjust to the new digs

1 Like

Since I went from starter pots (3" maybe) to 2 gallon nursery pots (the next step will final 10 gallon nursery pots) I will likely top and FIM before the last replanting. Not sure thought.

1 Like

Ok cool
I only transfer once
but you can definitely top/fim them while in the 2 gallon pots

2 Likes

I agree, you can do FIM’ming ounce or twice, to achieved 16 main colas like mainligning does after 4 topping…

However, if you want to FIMming more than ounce, I will suggest that you do a “bending” that consist in slightly crush, without split on the stem, and bend the main stem to achieve, by time (2-3 weeks step back), the formation of a “knuckle” at the bending area and at different angle …

After recovering, do the FIM’ming and repeat the “crush, bending and different angle” on the 4 new main stems to achieve 4 more “knuckles” and let it grow to achieved 16 main colas and LST them to achieve space between those colas, as soon as they recover…

Honestly, I did not go that far and only did it with tomato and pepper plants, so, I have no idea what will be the results of triple FIM’ming on a cannabis plants…!?!

~Al :v: :innocent:

2 Likes

Results would be long veg times @Niala lol
But if time and space are no option it would work

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971

Yeap, slightly longer veg but less than mainligning :wink:, only 2 FIM’ming for 16 main colas :wink:

1 Like

Yeah 10/4 @Niala I agree

2 Likes

Yet another term to look up and study “mainlining”…maybe my brain will get full.:face_with_raised_eyebrow::writing_hand:

3 Likes

@merlin44, there’s a good bit of info in Will’s @garrigans65 post. “mainlining journal, start to finish”. It has some good photos.

2 Likes

Excellent, I will take a look this evening while I am relaxing over a jigger of 18 year old single malt…:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

18 years single malt looks like a very good plan… lol :wink: :sweat_smile: :innocent: :wink:, do not abuse, or tink about me if you do so a little bit … lol :wink: :sweat_smile: :innocent: :wink: :v: