First grow, first post

Thanks @bluntley420 that means a lot. I’ve been watching them all like hawks. I just want a good harvest other people would be proud of, not just myself. That’s when I know I’ve successfully grown. :wink:

2 Likes

Looks like you’re gonna get it! :smiley:

Meanwhile…I’m fighting a spider mite infestation (the kind of 2-spotted spider mite that resists EVERYTHING). I’ve tried lady bugs, spiders, vinegar & water solution, neem oil, removing affected leaves, blasting the mites off with pressure, a store bought pesticide, sulfur & pynethrin. On top of all that, it’s 50 degrees and raining so you think that would kill them since it killed all other insects and spider mites like it warm. Nothing worked. Not sure what else to do at this point.

@bluntley420 this is outside? Make a plastic tent, seal it the best you can, Get some dry ice and suffocate them. @Buck3 did that with his tent that had aphids.

2 Likes

Almost there @Covertgrower

So much rain and moisture here in the Pacific Northwest. I don’t know how people get around that. Indoor grow or green house maybe? Just got rid of white powdery mildew. Now I got this infestation of these so-called super mites or something like that. Apparently, you can’t kill these guys with anything because they adapt so fast. I think the neem oil I sprayed today and will again tomorrow and next day will help. Plus I got rid of most leaves to try to knock down their numbers.

2 Likes

Lots of diatomaceous earth helps too. Although it’s a bit slower on the kill action. Added benefit to putting some on top of your soil, (which is where the mites breed I think I read) is the silica uptake through the roots for a stronger plant. @bluntley420

1 Like

I won’t lie and tell you that I know what ‘diatomaceous earth’ is @Covertgrower but I will definitely remember that for next grow :wink:

I know that when I mixed the soil, I mixed it with lots of nutrients and bacteria to keep mold and bugs off the plant along with rice hulls and perlite for drainage, so I’m pretty bummed about this since I’m a week away from harvest. I have faith in the Neem…

2 Likes

I’m bummed for you @bluntley420 I’m just a hair north of you, and I grew inside to stay away from the rain…

1 Like

I think you’ve said too much about where you live @Covertgrower :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

3 Likes

@bluntley420 good thing its a big area… :wink::smile::thinking:

@Covertgrower True! Good call on the rain.

1 Like

You plants look great @Covertgrower!! You might have said, but in my jet-lagged brain I didn’t pick it up, do you have any idea of when you might be looking to harvest? I know, hard to predict, but what are your hopes?

I am HOPING to harvest the first week of October, but hope in one hand and poop in the other and see which one fills up faster…as the saying goes lol.

3 Likes

OMG I HAVE to learn not to post until I have at least one full cup of coffee soaking my brain…I meant to say I am HOPING to harvest the first week in November! geez.

1 Like

@rodri59 you crack me up. I made coffee crumb cake recipe instead of pancakes this morning. (Before coffee)
My estimate of harvest is October 20 for two strains. Og and GSC. Then maybe another week or two for the for WW. THC Bomb and the Txaki medical version takes the longes. Ordering a microscope :microscope: so I can look at the trichomes and be more accurate. I will not lie that I sampled an OG popcorn bud last night. All I can say is WOW… if that was that potent, I’ll have to be careful not to over do it with the stuff on top.

1 Like

LOL sounds like a good problem to have - with potency that is.

I was taking pictures last night of our buds, lo and behold when I zoom in on most of the pictures I can see trichs! Pretty exciting. Son has a jeweler’s loop but I don’t think he has used it yet.

So how did you sample your popcorn bud? did you dry it first? No wait, don’t tell me, if you do it will be too tempting…no tell me I REALLY want to know!

@rodri59 sorry for the late response, was out in the boat for a scenic drive. Had to burn some extra fuel off before storage anyways.
The trichomes have been visible for a few weeks now, and have only gotten frostier. I sampled mine by allowing it to dry a bit. I didn’t protect it from light, but I just squirreled it on top of the carbon filter where there’s plenty of air flow for a week. After that trial, I may have stashed another up there… :thinking:
Here is a sample of my short trip:

6 Likes

Gorgeous!!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LAX52IQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-li0zbNAXST8G

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LXXBQWD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Mmi0zbGB6QBZY

Just ordered these two items… getting the feeling I’m getting closer now. So anxious then excited for the next grow. I can’t thank everyone enough for their help on here.

1 Like

I am a newbie on my second grow, and I have one essential nugget of wisdom. Hide the magnifier until you see plenty of red hairs visually. You’ll look at the trichomes, find an amber one or two and get impatient.

3 Likes

@Whodat66 you’re probably right, I think I’m mature enough to hang on until I see some amber. its been fun to see the entire process so far. I wouldn’t want to ruin a good thing.

1 Like

Great advice!! Kinda like ‘a watched pot doesn’t boil’ :smile:

1 Like