First grow, first post

I’d remove anything that’s crispy make way for new life she’ll bounce back…make sure she’s hydrated…it happens I think led is less forgiving when you get to close from what I see things happen fast… I hold my hand at canopy to feel if it’s to hot and then whatch and see if the light is affecting the plants and adjust from there…led may feel like less heat but the light will get you…at least that’s what I gather from what I’ve read… @Covertgrower

5 Likes

@WillyJ Do you think most of that won’t survive?
I could cut some of it, I watered it as soon as I saw how wilty she was and is the worst one. I’m hoping she does bounce back, if she doesn’t then I guess I’ll be doing some chopping. I have a lot of plants, and I have most of that strain. So if I could choose one to lose it would have been that one at least.

Wait a little while and see how she reacts but if it stays dry and crispy do a little trimming get anything dead off…I just seen the temp spike you had wow …definitely got to keep that from happening she will herm or I should say could herm

2 Likes

Thanks @WillyJ I appreciate your advice. Yeah it got a little hot in there. I have it under control now. I turned two light fixtures off until my stronger fan arrives. They really have enough light anyways. I’m going to cut a hole for a fresh air return, for during the day, then have it circulate only warm air during the night. Manually for now, until I get a damper system figured out.

3 Likes

Holy schamowlee @Covertgrower

Good you’ve got stuff coming and you were able to remedy by altering lights/intensity etc
My first grow being summer time I had to improvise and then add a can booster type intake fan near the floor. It cranks at 240cfm I think and then I had to upgrade my exhaust to a 440cfm that I run a little over half speed now. Still I was in the mid to high nineties a couple times but I think the high humidity in those summer months saved me real damage.

I agree with @WillyJ IF the leaves that look wilted are crispy as in fried I would hack them but if they are just wilted and supple, give them time and even (correct me if this is not correct folks) spray them a couple times a day with distilled or water of some type for a few days.

2 Likes

Thanks @Screwauger some of the leaves did look some what crispy, but the stem was mostly just wilted, and I really think most of it will come back. I’m just glad I didn’t have flowers on it yet. So there’s still time for recovery.
I wasn’t sure if you saw my post on fan suggestions, and which one I got ordered, but it should be enough, and it’s quiet. Fan suggestions - #5 by Covertgrower
I purchased it for the efficiency, because you know fans usually run 24/7. I think around 30W .5 amps. I’ll take my existing fan, and push the air in through inlet. Which is made by the same manufacturer.
It’ll only get more complicated when I have to start the dehumidifier probably on the next grow as it will be summer then and that adds some heat.

5 Likes

Here’s my journal @Fl.growr my tent is a mess right now, but it’ll improve in a week. Feel free to start from the beginning. These are clones from the first grow.

@Covertgrower real sorry about that, here’s hoping they bounce back and quick too!

Unfortunately I do not have some expert advice, but the remedies the guys have proposed sounds logical to me. Good luck

@GrinKnight the first step was turning off the additional fixtures to stop creating more heat. I have a really nice fixture that barely produces any heat. So I’m utilizing only that fixture. I’ll purchase another just like it and selling the China fixture. I’m not expert either, but I feel like a common sense approach is the best way to go.
Before I turn them back on again, I’ll have a larger fan installed and I should be able to evacuate the heat at a better rate.
As for the plants, they are recovering, and aren’t damaged too bad. There is only one plant that will take longer to recover and is damaged the worst. It’ll be fine. I just started flowering, that’s why I turned the other lights on.
I’ll post pictures tomorrow.

3 Likes

Glad to hear they are recovering, will look out for the pictures. I am in West Africa and temps get ridiculously high, it was a no-brainer for me to get an air conditioner when setting up my grow room. The larger fan idea sounds great, as I have read repeatedly that yields are directly affected by how much light hits the girls.

I am about to start flowering 2 plants, just waiting on my HID lighting to arrive (I realized the initial lights I got locally were halogens and not HPS :man_facepalming:)

1 Like

@GrinKnight I recall reading west Africa is where you’re located. I like how you improvised and used the “dirt out back”. HID lighting you’ll do great. Another option you look into is LEC, (not led) different bulb, same ballast, and you can use it from veg to flower. I’m just not sure if you have access to get one. Phillips is the most popular bulb manufacture. Hope you’re plants are doing well. Transplant those yet?

@Covertgrower thanks to amazon, I seem to have access to everything albeit at ridiculously high shipping costs. I will read up on the LED, even though my HPS and MH are already en route.

They are doing great! I will update my journal with pictures soon. I transplanted one of them yesterday and it has responded fantastically, I am well pleased to be honest. Only issue with transplanting the rest now is lighting. Currently using some CFL fixture and the distance between bulbs is not well spaced enough for bigger pots. I will transplant the rest soon as my MH arrives. Good thing is the plant was nowhere near root bound yet when I transplanted so I still have a bit of time

1 Like

You seemed to be cruising right along until you added the panels. Is there that big of a difference in felt temps from your old lights to the cobs? I never got into and of th bigger led panels. With the smaller ones, it’s noticeable but I wouldn’t say a lot.

Did you come up with a plan to mix some outside air into your intake?

Definitely don’t sweet it bro in fact i light bleeched my gold leaf last run was dealing with my mother and forgot to raise the lights when i got home damage was done
Youll be fine the damaged leaves wont recover but the plant will finish off
At least you caught it brother
Woohoo

2 Likes

@dbrn32 when I added the two additional panels for lighting it made a huge difference. I was cruising along with a balmy 75°-85° during the day. 60° at night. Those panels put out a lot of heat. That’s what caused the heating issues. I have the Rapid LED fixture turned all they up now, and it’s still about the same temperatures. I have a plan, and ductwork will be installed as soon as the fan gets here. I have to do it manually, to how much inside/outside air will get exchanged until I can order a damper. (None in town) I will be able to at least manage the additional heat. Pretty sure the one good fixture that didn’t get any burned out, will end up on e of bay. I’m thinking this will be the last grow with these fixtures. On to better lighting.
@Countryboyjvd1971 I bleached some leaves once before, I know they won’t recover, but at least there’s time for recovery. Since I just switched the light schedule.

2 Likes

@GrinKnight led is the efficient. I was saying LEC. It’s a fuller spectrum than HID/HPS that you have coming.

2 Likes

@Screwauger @BIGE @dbrn32 @Countryboyjvd1971 So as you can see, she’s crispy. With new growth already started. This was directly underneath one of the Cree’s at 18”. There’s one other that wasn’t as sensitive to the heat, but the same height and it also got bleached. So I’m conclusion 18” is too close with Cree COB’s. (Bad***ery if you ask me) they’ll recover just fine and I should have been more careful with the new light. I lowered it, and turned it up. Two oopsies. The way I see it, now we KNOW. Take it in stride gentlemen. But here’s the tent temps since I’ve turned the other lights off. The last 110° spike is early in the morning for about an hour they were on, and I turned them off. Then temps went down. But As you can see, very comfortable in there afterwards. Efficiency is where I love to be. (So do my plants)

7 Likes

I’ve never ran them at over 1400ma, but had no issues other than heavy feeding at 12-14” with the 50 watters. Also literally just left a grow with 4 75 watt vero se’s And measured them at 16” without any issues yet. So I suspect some of that could be from having a little more output at 1750ma, but you could be dealing with some strains that are just a little more light sensitive too.

At any rate, it’s a great feeling to know you have as much or more energy that they can take, isn’t it? Also probably a good thing you’re not running those reflectors lol. That would boost your light intensity quite a bit.

2 Likes

@dbrn32 yes, having extra is a great feeling, I almost don’t know what to do with it… oh wait, buy more!
It’s literally one phenotype that was sensitive to that much light intensity. At least that much with such a drastic reaction. Being clones, there’s another clone from the same mother had the same reaction and also was directly beneath the COB. I’ll say clones are handy for this reason of experiments.
This incident has me second guessing the quantum board install. I also didn’t turn the fixture back down, I only raised it up. So if I do install the boards, I can just turn the power down to save but still have enormous amounts of light.

1 Like

It’s very difficult for people to leave the general thought of Watts per foot when running the higher end cobs. You really have to see them in action first hand to believe it. Like where you’re at, you need more coverage not necessarily more power. If you remember back to when you ordered and got the bigger drivers, I’m pretty sure I put it out that they wouldn’t be necessary. Running at 50 Watts you could just drop them a little if need be. But it wasn’t a large expense either, so whatever right. You may be better off trying to do something like some bars of 30-50 watt cobs on those heatsinks you salvaged cost wise as opposed to the qb’s. I don’t know, you have a good base so that leaves a ton of options. You can spend your money however you’d like obviously. But you don’t need four qb’s at max current, that’s for sure.

And unless that pheno is the absolute best smoke, I’d ditch her like a bad prom date.

2 Likes