First grow and journal Mulegal here

@mulegal, you’re a gardener, so use your gardening intuition. You’re plants look healthy just a little stretched from too little light, so I think they can handle a transplant, just be gentle with them.

I’m having a hot flash as we speak. :joy:

1 Like

“Hip Hip Hip replacement for us old gals!”

Sometimes I lilt to the right side, and sometimes I lilt to the left…but I keep on moving no matter what.

Here’s my other girls in the backyard yesterday

3 Likes

OMG, what a beautiful garden! I’ll bet those chickens make some great fertilizer.

As a city girl, I know nothing about chickens, but they sure are pretty.

1 Like

Thanks, They are sweet and happy and companionable, plus they provide eggs and fertilizer. They are #1 homestead animal in my book.

2 Likes

@mulegal I love chickens! I used to have 14 hens in my backyard, no roosters, and I kept the neighbors at bay with free eggs!

1 Like

I have 8 these days. One old hen, Phyliss, just laying half/time :slight_smile:

I’ve had good roos and bad roos over the years. I went without roos for many years, quite happily, then two years ago, one of my young hens morphed into a roo. He’s grown into a good un. He’s allowed to stay as long as he behaves…hahaha

I love my hens, and yes the neighbors do love the eggs too. I have good neighbors. We give each other help when asked, and respectful space otherwise

2 Likes

Thanks @raustin and " born in the 1st half of the last century. That’s damned ancient!" Hahahahahahaha ouch the truth does hurt…hahahaha

We may be ancient but we’re still taking care of business…yehaaaaaw

2 Likes

@mulegal I did have one rooster that one of my hennys hatched, I for sure thought he was a hen, until on a Christmas mornin’ I was rudely awakened by a weak crow at 4am. He was a Polish x Frizell and black and white with a white hoop de doo on his head. I named him Crowmeo, a Romeo that crows. I couldn’t keep him so I gave him to a friend that had hennies but no rooster. :rooster: :woman_farmer:t4:

Crowmeo…I like that @highcountrygal

and hey, I looked high and low today for gypsum No gypsum, no how. Just ordered some online…couple of days is all

glad you had the greenhouse today. Crazy cold north wind up here too. Animals all hung in the barn…not fit for woman or beast. Wood stove’s a roaring right now. Finally relaxing.

1 Like

@mulegal ‘There’s a storm across the county clouds are rollin’ in’ thank you John Denver! I have a beautiful fire place but ever since The Cedar Fire in '03 I cannot stand the smell of fire. We were right in the middle of it we had 2 horse trailers a 3 horse slant and a 4 horse slant and 70 horses. Nightmare so to speak. :anguished:

Dang it. A definite nightmare @highcountrygal . I’m in an irrigated farming valley at the foothills so safe from wildfires. But my packing backcountry burns way too frequently this past decade. Wildfires are for certain a nightmare for us all.

1 Like

Well I quadrupled my lights from a single T5 to four. It’s only been 3 days and my little plant is loving it. New leaves sprouting out and growing almost as I watch and the stem seems more robust. The spacing up the stem to the newest nodes is not so far up the stem from the last. That looks better to me too.She really looks more vibrant than I’ve seen her!

Feels like it’s been a long while since this started, but looking at my calendar…she’s only 14 days old! hahahahaha I am lost in space.

Camera is out in the shop. I’ll get a pic in a little bit

5 Likes

Getting prepared for the transplant.I know she’s young, 2 weeks, but root growth is starting to reach sidewalls and bottom of cup, I figure esp since this is an auto I’ll do it before any more roots are actively on the outside of the soil mass, so less disturbance.

I’m excited :smiley:

Got 5 gallon fiber pot, Magic Dirt Organic potting soil, composted chicken droppings, bone meal,

1 Like

oops…that post got sent off before I was ready. Seems the world travels at a speed greater than mine these days…lol

AND @highcountrygal I got some gypsum TaDa. So my question for you: For a 5 gallon pot how much and how…mixed in? top dress?

Here she is - 2 weeks old today

4 Likes

@mulegal Yehaw! I use an old tin cup, is it just for the 1 5 gal pot? If so mix in soil before transplanting about a cup. There is no rule really. Later I top dress and mix with my fingers as soon as it gets water it dissolves. Oh I am excited for you! Babies look awesome. I just added to my journal and one of the pics is of a stem when it was thin then you can see the difference when I added gypsum.

1 Like

Oh yes @highcountrygal. I can see how the stem really did bulk up…sweet. Come on Gypsum do some magic for me.

1 Like

@mulegal I never noticed that until today. Even the one I broke twice and I mounded dirt around the breaks and by god it is just doing fine. That’s the Purple Dragon. How close are you to Cerritos? I have a friend who I am trying to get to join the fun here, that’s where he lives. I wish I could afford to grow one with gypsum and one without just to see. Keep that green thumb in the dirt! :woman_farmer:t4:

1 Like

Not very close to Cerritos I guess, 'cause I don’t know where that is @highcountrygal…hahahaha I’m pretty far north, near Red Bluff. South of Redding.

I haven’t told anyone about my grow, except on here. It’s fun to share, glad this group is here. I wonder how long it will take for my friends to discover my plants in the garden. I know at least one who will Never figure it out…hahahahaha I figure what they don’t know, won’t hurt me :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Lookin’ good @mulegal. Interested to see what the gypsum does! Keep on growin’ :green_heart: :seedling: