First grow and journal Mulegal here

Well since this is a journal, I’ll post a pic or two.

Here is seedling at day 5

And here she is at day 6

I guess I have no questions except …is she on track? I’m anxious for the next leaves to sprout! Figured I would’ve learned patience by this point in life, wellll, I guess not LOL

The fan helped dry out the soil some. Should she still be domed?

It’s really nice to be able to share this journey here. I’m keeping it on the quiet at home and not telling anyone…but it’s so forefront in my mind right now, I think I’d bust if I couldn’t share here. Thanks you all.

7 Likes

Lol, I had the same problem with keeping everything secret. I just had to tell someone. Thank God for this place!

Your little girl looks great, but yeah, I would put her under a dome.

2 Likes

Looks great! Keep up the good work!

@mulegal dome would help. Otherwise she looks great.

2 Likes

@mulegal You are correct our plants are in about the same stage, mine were still in a plastic bag 9 days ago.
It is a very interesting process to watch and be involved in. I have been lurking on your journal since it started, nothing to add since I don’t know much about this yet. I have like many of the posts here, though.:+1::sunglasses::cowboy_hat_face:
Your garden looks quite healthy, keep up the great work. Looking forward to seeing them grow up.:ok_man:

1 Like

OK … Dome it is @Covertgrower and @raustin.

And welcome @merlin44

3 Likes

OK now I’ve got a question. 7 days since plant broke soil, jiffy seed starting soil , looks like perelite and peat moss, no added nutes. I have been lightly spritzing seedling with 6.0 adjusted tap water every other day for the past week.

Today I figured she might be hungry. Used organic fish fertilizer 5-1-1. I mixed it 1/8th strength and ph’ed the solution to 5.3. and gave her about 1.5 Tablespoons. To my surprise about 1T drained right out the bottom. Figured I might as well check that, so I filtered it and it ph’ed at 6.4. Does this mean that the seed starting soil was very alkaline all along?

Seedling looks healthy. Any action required? My gardening experience hasn’t really set me up for dealing with these sorts of details hahahaha. More like add water, add sun, add compost,… relax. I AM willing to do what’s needed for this first attempt though. Hopefully willingness counts for something:grinning:

3 Likes

@mulegal Now this may be a crazy question but what ever happened to just putting a seed into some soil, keeping it damp and warm and letting it sprout? I have never soaked seeds or anything other than dropping it into a little thumbprint. in the soil. I know I sound nuts but I just don’t understand all the steps, measuring pH etc. Plants have the remarkable property of being able to acclimate due to the self preservation process. Knowing me and my challenged instrument reading and interpreting ability, I don’t think I would grow much. Too much for an old ladies brain. I also don’t carry a cell phone or have GPS either. And yes I do live in the dark ages I am as old as the hills :peace_symbol: :woman_farmer:t4: :wink:

7 Likes

@highcountrygal, I couldn’t agree with you more. The fact is, weed is pretty darn easy to grow and your method of putting a seed into soil and give it some water will work just fine. Personally, I do the bare minimum when out comes to growing weed, but since the seeds are expensive I do soak and baby them a bit. I’m also guilty of buying them some very expensive nutrients, but I’ve found the best way to keep them healthy is to ignore them as much as possible and I grow some fine MJ. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

If they look healthy, leave them alone. You really don’t have to give nutrients to seedlings, so just be patient. :grin:

4 Likes

Focus more on the development of a deep strong healthy root system rather than putting growth on a very young plant, when that is good to go then nutes and that’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it!!! :shushing_face:

5 Likes

:rofl: @highcountrygal, you’re singing my song. This makes me feel like i’m in a science fiction world sometimes. All I want is a little smoke, that’ll give me a smile and some busy thinking so I can forget my aches and pains.

I’ll tend my couple of plants out in the garden and continue on with my life as always. I’m an old crone, with an old flip-phone, old truck, old animals, old friends. Thanks for bringing me back to mother earth @highcountrygal . Think I’ll just… Keep It Simple

7 Likes

I’m right there with you @raustin. I got lost in a swirl of hi tech and lost my mind. I’m not looking to grow the best weed ever grown. Just my own garden variety homegrown diversion.

Got my feet back on the ground…hahahahaha thanks

5 Likes

Me too, I’m happy just growing some decent weed for myself. I’m not into all the technicals. This reminds me of a thread I started around a year ago about how the men are really into all the gadgets that come with growing weed, and we women are more into the nature of it. That was my theory anyway, turns out I was completely wrong 'cause I’m guilty of buying lots of weed growing gadgets myself. Lol. :joy:

7 Likes

Day 11 in seedlings life journey

Well I’ve learned one clear lesson already. I woefully underestimated the light needs of this weed. A light adequate for annuals and vegetable seedlings is sorely lacking for this girl.

Her leaf progress looks strong and healthy, but her stem is very stretched. I have been using a T5 HO flourescent full spectrum, but only one tube. Ugga, I must’ve been sleeping during that lesson. I’ve been putting her outside in protected spot to catch sun’s rays, but obviously my northern winter sun is not really strong enough either. Going to try and located a better light source.

This being my first mindful grow, is why I only planted one seed, and I knew I was early, just anxious to get going…hahaha I have removed her dome and might introduce a small fan to see if I can strengthen things a bit. She seems like a strong little thang despite the light deficiencies.

Still a happy journey and a learning experience

3 Likes

I think you’re right, she needs a bit more light, but she looks healthy despite that. :relaxed:

@mulegal I will sum it up in one word gypsum. I had the same leggy stems which was a cause of concern for me. I added just a pinch for a 3 gal pot. And yes I do grow outside and I do not know anything about indoor grows, but they went from leggy to sturdy and are now strong and able to support new leaves. Pic 1 before gypsum pic 2 after about a week.

This is a 2 1/2 week span1 No I do not want to put my gypsum there, thank you :rofl: :woman_farmer:t4:

3 Likes

@raustin @highcountrygal @mulegal regarding treating and controlling all the parameters during a grow vs letting them grow on their own:

You can grow without elaborate controls but certain simple things like proper ph is so dramatic an improvement that it’s kinda like putting regular gas in your Mazerati lol. Auto flower and feminized are also somewhat sensitive and twitchy about their environmental conditions so it becomes a good idea to prevent hermi’s or poor yields.

I like all natural too but common sense is good too.

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 Me check pH levels? Too complicated. I do feed on a rotating basis, but use very few foods. I am a firm believer in plant acclimation and self preservation. I am not sure what you mean by dramatic changes. Out of 8 seeds I just stuck in the seed starter soil without any presoaking I got 6 girls, no hemi’s and from those 6 gals a 1# plus harvest.

My 23 inch cola. I also had several 15 in. colas :woman_farmer:t4:

9 Likes

Everything looks terrific! Wow. I had no idea you could get that size of a plant out of a 5 gallon bucket. That’s impressive. Congratulations. Enjoy your growing and the benefits of your hard labor

1 Like