Fan suggestions

I run 4 inch fan with adjustable speed control and carbon filter also fan heater hooked up to this control unit , II use the Ink Bird control unit- ITC-308 Temperature Controller Pre-wired waterproof thermostat (just google search) would recommend people look into this sort of system as it takes the guess work out it , in a tent your fan/filter does not need to run 24/7 - needs to run when it gets to hot over a certain temp only( in my view)

Just setting up another unit to run IHC-200 (Humidity Controller same company as above) ,
Best thing I ever did ,the only think I need to do now is keep an eye on res and nuits ,

Welcome @Guruscux we allow amazon links, but not e of bay. Thanks for posting the link for educational purposes, but it needs to be edited.

If you are handy with a jig saw, you can go the total DIY way and get an 8 inch table fan at home depot or lowes. Then you cut some plywood to fit against the intake and exhaust sides and fasten some duct connectors to the plywood. Bolt the two pieces of plywood together with long bolts (obviously with the fan in the middle) and presto: An 8" duct fan. Seal any cracks with duct tape.

3 Likes

4x8x8 = 256 cf
So that first fan will be plenty @Covertgrower get a soeed controller as well
Those inifinity fans are nice but a bit pricey they are supposed to be quite and the control feature is great
You want to have a intake fan as well

1 Like

@Countryboyjvd1971 is 256cfm the recommended amount I’m looking for as an exchange rate? A temperature controller I think is needed for this space so the fan will shut off when it gets too cold. I thought growing with a boiler to keep warm was going to be helpful. I would say challenging.

1 Like

I would go with the 400 cfm and a speed controller so you can dial it in depending on time of year
Higher temps and humidity youll want ti move more aur and in colder temps less air
256 cfm would replace air every minute in tour space so heating and cooling can be a issue if moving to much
I perfer to have a larger fan that you can run slower than not enough @Covertgrower
Tour out in a shed if I remember correctly arent you

1 Like

Yes, with a boiler to keep it warm. I can vent and exhaust inside/outside air as it warms up in late summer here. The rest of the time it’s fall like temperatures. About 60° even at night. I agree with you getting something larger than needed. That was why I made this post originally. I wanted to make sure I got something large enough, but not overkill. I’m considering running a T to to mix outside with inside air. For now I’m going to shut the exhaust fan off after lights out to keep some of the heat in. I’ll
Keep the air moving, with another fan just inside the tent.
In summer I’ll have to run a dehumidifier which will add some heat also. 85% humidity and above. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. @Countryboyjvd1971

2 Likes

Maybe set it up on a humidity control? So if humidity gets to high they run or put on timer and have it run for a few minutes every 15 mins
A mixing tee would be a good thing also as a option

2 Likes

Ordered this fan. What won me over was the thermostat controls that were included. It would cost just as much, if purchased separately.
@Countryboyjvd1971 and @dbrn32

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074XBXFPD?tag=greenreel-20

4 Likes

I almost bought that same unit nit two weeks ago lol
It’s certainly a nice set up @Covertgrower

4 Likes

Very nice unit @Covertgrower, I think one of those will be one my shopping list. :+1: :smile:

1 Like

@Countryboyjvd1971 @dbrn32 @Buds007
The fan made it today. I’ll get this installed tomorrow and turn a fixture on. Then the second. And check temperatures.
It says 35db on high, and that sounds about right. Anything less than 3 bars down from high you can barely hear it 10ft away. Here’s some pictures. You remove the center part of the fan, then screw in the middle of the bracket. The controls are laid out well, and it appears there’s another section for another fan?

3 Likes

I believe the controllers will run dual fans, although I didn’t look through to see how that plays into the other functions or anything.

Pretty impressive how quiet they are isn’t it? I know with the 4” most if not all of the noise you hear is the air moving. What’s your initial thoughts on the air movement, should it be enough?

@dbrn32 I think it will move enough air. I tested a bit of the static pressure by sticking my hand in and blocking the vent. It does have a fair amount of pressure despite my hand blocking most of it. It’s a short run, but it’ll be sucking through various screens.
If I eventually track down just a fan unit, I would love to add another one of these just for security if keeping temps down for sure.

1 Like

Email them. Back when these were in development I exchanged quite a few emails with them. Despite them not being ready when I needed it, the support staff was generally helpful. I went with another 6” hyper fan at that time. I came across the 4” later on amazon for $20 cheaper than listed on website and decided to order it. It’s nib sitting in garage lol. I’ll use it eventually.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 so here have a reasonably installed fan outside of the tent to save space for those sativas coming up. I mounted to the ceiling. 6” ductwork hasn’t arrived yet, didn’t find any in town.
There will be a T with a manually controlled damper to the outside. So I can recycle some air, or vent it out. I’ll be cutting a hole in the floor or wall for intake with the same manually controlled damper. I will upgrade eventually to a temperature controlled damper if I can find one. Haven’t looked yet. If @Countryboyjvd1971 has a source even non amazon, I would love to hunt it down. I could use a temperature controller for the intake fan, but it doesn’t shut off the outside air source.
So far the fan controls are straightforward. I’m enjoying the “smart” settings. As the temperatures get higher the fan speeds up. Runs at max speed when it gets one degree behind. I’m not entirely sure if the shuts off completely when it gets cold or slows down to nearly off.
Eventually I intent to run the ducts wide open to the outside during summer. (Carbon filtered of course) Going to make a make shift ductwork for the outside air coming in, to go through the dehumidifier then to the inside of the tent. If I can keep temperatures under control which I will by removing the China fixtures. I would like to recycle some of the dehumidified air to keep the air dry.
Theres a creek next to shed I could exchange heat into or use the cold water to make a chiller of sorts. Just throwing it out there for thoughts. All thoughts ideas or comments are greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

You’re on a roll Brother. Impressed is putting it mildly @Covertgrower but I have to wrap my head around these concepts a bit as it’s way outside my experience. Awesome plan and equipment and space not to mention, you’re ingenuity and motivation. Destined to be a productive space regardless of what you decide.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words @Screwauger it was easier growing in the house. Better environmental control. But I’ll dial this in little bit at a time. Like anyone else on here I want my tent full. I’ll add a specified veg tent here soon. I want it bad, so I’ll make it happen. Even if it means throwing more stuff away… lol. Might draw a line somewhere though…

1 Like

Glad you’re happy with the fan! It’s always nice feeling when you recommend something and it works out good lol.

I’m not sure how low the fan will go, but I don’t think it will shut completely off in that mode. I could be wrong though, but I think on/off is a different mode if it has it at all. Another thing, I believe there is a setting you can adjust the deadband in the control. I don’t think there’s a big range, but it has some tunability.

The only potential issue I see is not having closed loop control when running both fans. Or, the exhaust ran ramping itself below the intake fan. If you’re picking up what I’m saying? May not be a huge issue now, but when you go to carbon filter it could be a big deal. The only way I know of to tackle that would be going to passive intake, but I could be just unaware of a better option.

@dbrn32 Yep, didn’t think of the intake fan out running the exhaust fan. Glad you mentioned that. We can go passive, and just save that other fan for the veg tent? :wink:
Deadband, the amount of space or how much it speeds up in between speeds? The band that does now isn’t terrible, but it seems like there is a large difference between medium and high.

1 Like