Eight Strains, One Tent: A New Grower's Adventures

I’ve been reading and researching for several months now while I slowly built my grow room. I ordered eleven different seed varieties from ILGM and on 4/20 I finally sewed them! :seedling:

The seeds were planted into peat pucks, then left on a warming pad. All but the OG Kush have pushed up and started to grow. As you can see in the photo, they are moving at very different speeds, so this should get interesting!

Thanks for looking! :+1::smiley:

16 Likes

Nice start! :+1:

I used those pods on my last grow and they did fine. I thought they stayed too wet though so I went with FF Light Warrior this time (still seedlings). When doing my first transplant I’ll mix 50/50 LW and OF. The final transplant will be in all OF.

Good luck, I’ll be watching.

2 Likes

I only had one peat plug disappoint me in the 12 I’ve used. The roots on one plant never grew put just one down through the plug haha

2 Likes

I’m planning to move these ladies into five gallon fabric bags with a 70% coco coir/30% perlite mix. I think next time I’ll start the seeds in a wet paper towel and put them straight into the bags. It is hard to keep these pucks from staying too wet imo.

2 Likes

Starting in smaller pots isn’t a bad thing. It becomes easy to overwater in a pot that’s too big for the plant. It’ll work, just be cautious.

Auto’s which aren’t for me, might be an exception but people have various opinions on transplanting auto’s.

2 Likes

i see you are growing in coco @3high5you,what kind of system are you running,or plan to run? also are you growing organic,or using a nutrient line ?

1 Like

transplant all the way through late veg… i’ve heard it is a no-no in flower,but i would not do that anyways…lol

2 Likes

I do a 3-step. Starter, 6" then 5-gal bags. Seemed to work out ok.

5 Likes

i learned that last round myself @Matthew420, i have a small square starter,i believe i went with 8in dia plastic pot #2,bran new 7gal fabric pots for finish…i’m going to get a larger fan for the floor of my tent because i want them to dry faster. lol

1 Like

I’m excited to see how these turn out

2 Likes

I have a 16" or 18" fan over the canopy then a small clip fan running down the middle under the canopy. I might add another clip fan at the opposite end for about the same reason as @BIGE mentioned. But in my case, it’s more that one end (closest to the fan) dries faster than the other. I want them more even.

2 Likes

I’ll be using the FoxFarm nutrients with a CalMag supplement. I’m going to follow the recommended dosing for a hydro system, except that I’ll be alternating every other watering with clean ph balanced water.

I do have a few autos, which is why I think I’ll try planting right into the coco mix next time. I wasn’t aware of the issues with transplanting them til after I started this round of seeds.

1 Like

I usually do a 2 step. I use small peat pots and then transplant right into 5 gallon buckets. They stay in the 5 gallon buckets all the way into harvest seems to work pretty good for me.
Like you said above though it’s easy to overwater them. I usually just water around the base of the stem and then mist the edges of the pot with a water bottle to keep the edges moist until they are large enough to water the entire pot.

2 Likes

I decided you dig the OG Kush and Lowryder seeds out of the starter pucks. They were both still the same as when I put them in there six days ago. I soaked a paper towel and stuck them in there to see if they’ll take off that way. I might be growing six plants. I feel like 25% failure rate is pretty high though? :rage:

3 Likes

Its all good sometimes its just the seed…
You doing good and just enjoy !!!
Happy growing !

2 Likes

So I’m curious @3high5you, how big of a grow space will these plants have? And some advice for coco is that you’ll have the opposite problem that you’re having now with the jiffy pots, NOT staying wet long enough. A lot of people that use coco will use a drip system for watering and feeding.

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

The tent is 4W x 8L x 7H. I’m manually watering them with a pump sprayer. If it becomes too much of a hassle I’ll setup drip irrigation, but that comes with its own set of issues as well, from what I understand.

3 Likes

I think I figured it out… the PH of the runoff was almost 9! I checked my bucket of adjusted water and it had climbed back up to 7.5 which is odd because it came out of the tap at just over 8 and I adjusted it down to about 6.2 and it was stable. I’m really confused now!

My procedure:
Fill five gallon bucket with four gallons of water
Add CalMag
Let sit overnight
Adjust PH
Test PH again several minutes later

What am I missing?

1 Like

I like using a piece of copper wire to stand them back up kind a make a loop around the top to hold it up until she starts to do it on her own again

5 Likes

Thanks @Hogmaster, I propped up four of the five just to be safe. Never would have thought to do that. Much appreciated! :grinning:

1 Like