Ebb and flood systems with coconut substrate in smart pots

Hi friends! I use hydroponic systems of periodic flooding. I used to use perlite and vermiculite as a substrate. Now I tried to make a coconut with a small amount of perlite on the same system. I am now of course thinking that I made a mistake with this choice of substratum in this system, but it’s too late. My girls are already blossoming for three weeks. Please tell someone, with what frequency do I have to flood them, I now water them once every five days, but I feel that this is not enough, and I’m afraid to pour. It is very important for me not to lose girls now. Help please understand. Thank you in advance!

1 Like

@Donaldj @garrigan62 @Aquaponic_Dumme

These guys will be able to help

1 Like

Sounds to me like you are using the right approach are they healthy and happy the way you are dealing with them rightnow? I think if you had been running it like standard Ebb&Flow entire time the ladies wouldn’t be as shocked by a sudden change but this late in the game shock is not good.

@Nug-bug thank`s bro!!))

1 Like

@Donaldj What should I do in the end, how often should I water them? After yesterday’s watering, I today touched pots, they were wet. Flood as a little dry?

it`s today.

1 Like

Treat them like you are hand watering them go by feel and weight don’t change what has got you this far next round have them conditioned to it right from the start

1 Like

@Donaldj Bro, I read through Google translator, and not always correctly translate)))) Sometimes nothing is clear from the written. As far as I understand, to water them in manual mode, how to dry, right?

1 Like

Today I noticed that the tops of some plants are light green. I do not know how much it is visible in the photo, but in real life it is noticeable. What could be the reason for this, is it not related to watering?
I use Flora Nova, Bio Bloom from GHE, water RO, EC 1,3, 600W lump. Humidity 50%, temperature 25-26 degrees Celsius.
@Aquaponic_Dumme Bro, I would like to know your opinion, too, if it is possible.))

2 Likes

would be my suspect

2 Likes

@Donaldj No, it does not. With a lack of zinc in the leaves there are streaks of dark green color, the leaves are not the same color completely, there are veins. In my case, a leaf of one light green color, without veins. For 10 years I have never had such a thing. Today I will make a close-up photo. Maybe I should wash the substrate with acidified water?

Check through this link if anything grabs your attention
Manganese would be another possible culprit?

1 Like

@Donaldj More like that, this is a lack of nitrogen, but the lower leaves are in excellent condition, that’s what is misleading.

Could be but being top of plant with no signs on lower growth thinner leafs makes me suspect a metal Iron Zinc Mang they all display quite similar
@Aquaponic_Dumme may have some better ideas for you but lets get some more info
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco?

System type?

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir?

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS

Indoor or Outdoor

Light system, size?

Temps; Day, Night

Humidity; Day, Night

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,

Co2; Yes, No

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Aquaponic_Dumme @Donaldj

Orange Bad, Blue Berry( Dutch Passion), Amnesia Haze (Royal Queen Seeds)

Mix Coco & perlite (90% &10%)

Periodic flood system

PH -5,8

EC-1,3- 1.4

Indoor

Light system- Orange-red – HPS/- 600 W

Temps; Day- 25-26, Night- 21-22

Humidity; Day-50 , Night - NA

Ventilation system; Yes, Size- 500 m3/h

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,- No

Co2; - No

Flora Nova, Bio Bloom, Dimond Nectar from GHE,

Liquid CarboLoad, Tarantula by Advanced Nutrients

Micorisa Great White

water RO,

and i use Aptus Dislike spray

If I may jump in.

2 things came to mind when I browsed the top of your post, and support ticket (thanks for filling this out for us).

1. You should always start the light cycle with a feeding event. When the lights come on. The plant wants to drink. Many growers use several, or hourly events when using ebb and flow. (One common schedule is 15 minutes on, and 45 minutes off), continuously while the lights are on. Never run system during lights out.

2. I am not a fan of Coco but, I do believe it would better to add a higher % of perlite into the mix. Some growers claim to use a 50/50 Coco to perlite mix. I call this a matter of choice, and it takes solid guidance and especially, time to achieve this. Maybe Donaldj can reflect on this.

Sorry for butting in. :slight_smile: Great job Dj :+1:

1 Like

One more thing I just noticed. You are using just too many products. Most are not necessary most of the time and can lead to double dipping nutrients, which is a waste of nutrient concentrate and money.

By learning to keep is simple and use primarily a stand alone base nutrient package; You will achieve success faster than if you buy all the cool products in the world. I promise. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for explaining. We will keep that in mind when reading your posts.

What language are you translating?

@latewood Thank you for your reply. I already realized that perlite should have been more, but it’s too late …
If I water them every day, do not create a problem with a strong substrate moisture? Will the roots rot?

[quote=“latewood, post:17, topic:10748”]
What language are you translating?
[/quote] Armenian and Russian)

Russian. Frikkin Cool! I know it is too late for this grow. I wanted to confirm for you, that these were concerns.

Whether or not the Coco stays to wet is a matter of your drainage and air circulation. Many fans will help the medium dries out more.

You need to get plant fresh nutrients at the start of everyday. Coco should dry out enough, the rest of the day. Plants want to drink when they get light.

Exactly how wet is your Coco 24 hours from watering event?

[quote=“latewood, post:19, topic:10748”]
Exactly how wet is your Coco 24 hours from watering event?
[/quote] Yesterday checked, were wet, two days after watering.

Can arrange not a full watering allow for 1/4?