Dumme's Aero-Soil-Aquaponics adventure

aq·ua·pon·ics
ˌäkwəˈpäniks,ˌak-/
noun
a system of aquaculture in which the waste produced by farmed fish or other aquatic animals supplies nutrients for plants grown generally hydroponically, which in turn purify the water.

7 Likes

I’ve been successfully been growing cannabis using the hydroponic method, Aquaponicly. On top of that, I built my garden that feeds the cannabis using low-pressure, Aeroponic technology.

I’ve built a few systems with this method, and new to the forums. I’d love to help anyone that might wanna try. Cheers ~Dumme :sunglasses:

6 Likes

Earlier, multi-floor, System

Worm beds in the Aero chamber. As far as I know, I’m the first to try dual root zones in Aeroponics this way.

Cycling the new rebuild…

4 Likes

Couple of up to date pictures.

Inside the Low pressure Aero chamber (roots). A very tight fit for the camera.

5 Likes

6 Likes

So !@#$ing awesome @Aquaponic_Dumme! It’s such a great system. Plants cleaning water for fish to live, so those fish can eat and shit out food for the plants to live lol. Nature at its best! It seems really complicated though haha

2 Likes

It’s really not that hard for someone that wants to learn. It’s very addictive, once you get started. I didn’t want to scare anyone away from it, when talking about a commercial setup.

3 Likes

So f***ing AWESOME!! I’ll go bck live at my parents place and do this for his fish! Lmao he will tell me to fck off for sure lol

2 Likes

So in this new build, I recently increase the number of fish.
…with more fish comes even more high protein feed. Bubbles have been an issue. Here’s the new DIY Foam Fractionator I built to combat them.

4 Likes

@latewood,

I’ve been working on a completely new build, but back in January, this was my garden. Completely organic, Aquaponics, with Shubunkins; very good yield.

5 Likes

Wow @Aquaponic_Dumme! Just wow!
I respect you so much man. Keeping fish alive and growing beauties like that, all together as a symbiotic relationship! Absolutely beautiful. It’s nature truly at its best. I’m blown away my friend, and I truly thank you for sharing with us!

4 Likes

I’m briefly touched on the subject in the past, but I just want to make it perfectly clear. Aquaponics is a very viable way of growing Cannabis at a higher pH, although it would greatly help your success if you have experience with aquariums and chemistry. While I wouldn’t recommend using any premixes designed for lower pH, there are many, many compounds with the proper chelated nutrients designed for higher pH.

Hoaglands Solution tells us larger fruiting plants require:
N 210 ppm
K 235 ppm
Ca 200 ppm
P 31 ppm
S 64 ppm
Mg 48 ppm
B 0.5 ppm
Fe 1 to 5 ppm
Mn 0.5 ppm
Zn 0.05 ppm
Cu 0.02 ppm
Mo 0.01 ppm

2 Likes

Once I master hydro I think maybe I’d like to try this! But that’s years from now! @Aquaponic_Dumme you’ll be the guy I contact for lessons lol!

3 Likes

Thanks to Nate, over @ Bright Agrotech

…and a special thanks to my friends Steve and Marty, for starting up their new weekly podcasts this year @ Growing with Fishes

3 Likes

Nice grow. I am glad to see someone finally succeed using an aquaponic system. Thanks for sharing. I have been mentoring MMJ growers for 12 years and never before saw results like what I see in the video. IN fact; I have not even seen anyone discuss aquaponics in at least 5-6 years.

I look forward to seeing how you did it. :slight_smile:
lw

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, what types of fish have you used when doing aquaponics? What have you found to be the easiest fish to work with?

1 Like

Mostly various Carassius Auratus (goldfish); all different types, and Shubunkins.

In this new system, I use Trout (Rainbow & Brook); both coldwater fish. Trout are restricted in Maine, and I had to acquire a permit to stalk them.

The most common type of fish used is Talapia, but they are restricted in Maine because they too, can survive through the winters here. I have no problem getting the license for them, but I’m limited with where I can get them, and my location is very far away. Maine is a very big state, and the closest Talapia Hatchery is 5 hours away. A Trout hatchery, on the other hand, is 20mins from me. Koi is also a very common fish to use.

The easiest fish to work with would be Koi, because they’re like a tank in the water; meaning they’re hard to kill. They eat anything and can survive in horrible conditions. Shubunkins and Goldfish are a close second, but Shubunkins grow faster.

People use Talapia because they’re another fish that can survive in cold and warm water, they’re also a hardy fish, not quite as much as Koi, Shubunkins, and Goldfish, but still a good choice.
You can also eat Talapia.

1 Like

We had Koi for years. I think they died of old age :slight_smile: When I considered aquaponics I considered Talapia but, then I bought some fresh farm grown Talapia in order to cook it and consider it as a food source. I did not like the fish.

I have to look into it but, I can get several species of fish; I believe. KOi are readily avaible, and we have trout locally. I know I can get Talapia.

Thanks again for sharing. lw

2 Likes

Really?! Trout? I really want to try this out now lol, I’m an avid trout fisher here in Pa.
I’m so fascinated with all of this @Aquaponic_Dumme!

3 Likes

Koi are basically banned in Maine. I guess you could get a license in you had a bird in the Inland Fisheries ear, but it wouldn’t be easy. Maine’s environmental protection is pretty intense.

I got the approval for Brown Trout (restricted), which are also hard to get approval for, as far north as I am in the state, but I have the same distance problem. Theyre too far south in the state.

2 Likes