DualARC 600W Grow Lamp Heat Production

I found it 1BigFella.

The lux (symbol: lx) is the SI unit of illuminance and luminous emittance, measuring luminous flux per unit area. It is equal to one lumen per square metre. In photometry, this is used as a measure of the intensity, as perceived by the human eye, of light that hits or passes through a surface.

1 Like

Watt is just how much power something uses. Like a 100 watt light bulb. It puts out more light than a 40 watt and costs more to run.

The simple explanation you can get your head around: Lumens is the amount of light the lamp puts out but that can be spread over any size surface. Lux is the light intensity on the surface. If you light exactly one square meter, then 20000 lumens = 20000 lux. If you pull your lamp up a bit and light 2 square meters with 20000 lumens, it is 10000 lux.

You can buy a lux meter for less than $15 on Amazon. It can be very useful.

I have a research background, a degree in Biology, worked for decades in digital design and software, and I’ve learned tons of stuff about cannabis just reading this site.

2 Likes

So basically, unless you have over 20 girls and the light measured × square foot and then some… dose co2 really benefit you… I would say no… just make sure that you have good air Exchange… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

1 Like

I’m going to have to get one of those lux meters then.

I too have my BS but in Oceanography. I spent 21 years as a Commercial Diver (oilfield) working all over world and now own my own business but I never learned about the measurement lux. Just goes to show we never stop learning.

Alleviating the CO2 idea will definitely make things easier, won’t it.

1Bigfella and peachfuzz, I’ve got to say I really appreciate all your help. Thanks

2 Likes

I would say if you have a commercial nursery greenhouse, and are getting top dollar for your product, then CO2 might make economic sense. For hobby growers, not so much. I can grow up to 6 plants legally and that’s more than I need for my medical needs.

2 Likes

Thanks 1BigFella. I have no intentions of growing more than 3 plants at a time and twice a year. My limited growth size has a lot to do with that plus I’m note sure I want to make more work for myself. I have enough going on in my life without adding more issues.

I enjoy growing plants and this project would only add to the pleasure.

Three plants of top shelf is better than a bunch of cruddy weed. Lots of people just try to grow too much and spread out their light too thin to get good results.

1Bigfella, as you know age and maturity have a habit of making one appreciate the finer things in life. I’ve learned in my situation, greed has a habit of biting me in the ass. I’m growing my own to watch, learn, nurture and experiment not for the quantity but quality and spiritual feelings (if you will) for the different types of plants. I know is sounds cheesy but that’s the reason I’ve begin growing my own. I haven’t had the opportunity to spend enough time in Amsterdam trying or cataloging each plant or mixture that best fits personality or feels the best under different circumstances. Unfortunately my many visits there didn’t allow me to participate in the local fun. My enclosure just arrived and is now constructed. I am now waiting for the lights and babies to arrive start the grow.

I am really excited.

4 Likes

I agree completely: Growing your own is like a sacrament. You have to be patient for months, and you see God or Nature’s hand day by day as your plants grow. It is very fulfilling. And quality is everything!

2 Likes

1BigFella things are finally coming together. Can’t believe how much space the lights are taking up. I hope I have connected the duct work the best way possible to allieviate the heat. Take a look and if you can tell from the picture please let me know if there is anything I can do to better everything. Thanks in advance for any advise.

2 Likes

That looks fine. I think you’re good to go. If you can’t lower your lights you can raise your pots as needed. I used a 400 watt HPS and full sun was the strength you got from 14", so I tried to keep my light-to-plant space about that. You have a more light so you can probably use more distance. Just make sure the top of your plant does not feel hot on the back of your hand.

Yep, I was in a hurry and attached the fixtures to the cross members in the tent. I didn’t have any strong light-weight material to construct a frame with some sort of pulley system so I went ahead and wired them to the ceiling. Thanks for the advice concerning light to plant separation. I will have deal with an elevated table system to get the proper distance.

You know… The next house I build will definitely have more thought put into additional closet space if you know what I mean. These little tents are a bit cramped. It’s even 4 X 4 X 6.5’

If I don’t talk with ya 1BigFella, you have a great weekend and be safe of the roads.

There’s a guide to SCROGing on this site. You probably need to do that with only 6.5 feet. Between pot height, light distance, and the thickness of the lights, you end up with not much height for the plants. And once you change the lights to flower the plants can stretch to double or more in height. Unless you are growing a short strain, like White Widow auto.

1Bigfella,

You are sooo right. Don’t know why I didn’t pick up on that? I’ve got to read up on that. I’m not sure if that’s top and train or just train.

Good catch my friend. Thanks

You can do both. Top to get more side growth. Then tuck everything under a SCROG net before you go to flower. Once you get into flowering you really don’t want to do either. Beginners often run out of room and have to top or burn up the top of the plant. Disaster either way.

Good evening 1Bigfella, Hope you had some time off from work to spend with friends and family.

A while back I had asked if (3) 600W Dual Arc lights would be too much for a 4X4X6.5’ area. In some of Mr. Bergman’s reading material it says to not use more that (2) 600W lights for a 13 square foot area. My foot print is 16 sq.ft. and I plan to use (3) isolated and cooled 600W Dual Arc lights. Hopefully my lights won’t cook the girls. Maybe his advice was just a guideline.

Happy new year amigo.

Wow 3 600w in a 4×4 !!
That’s going to be emmence heat.
1-600 is sufficient to grow in a 4x4.
I hope your gonna be able to move all that air.

1 Like

Wow is right. and it’s winter time with a quite a bit of outdoor cold forced air into the light boxes. So far with just two lights and the ballasts at the lowest setting the room is 79 degree. I still need to purchase two in line fans to plumb into the duct work to make things work more efficient.

I guess I thought more was better. What’s a good temp to grow the girls at again? high 70’s? When I did a bit of growing long ago “gorilla style” the days would get as hot as 100 degree. Of course that didn’t mean it was good for the plants.

I will have to research a good temp and humidity. I have a silly looking home made mister that keeps the humidity around 55% even with the temps at 79 degrees. I think I can manage two 600 Watt lights as long as it isn’t detrimental to the girls. I can keep the temp down with my air handling system but I’ve only tried it during cold outdoor temps. We shall see what summer does to the temperatures.

But you are right Nug-bug, my temperature definitely has to be watched. I guess I could always add another 4X4 tent. Not sure what the girlfriend would say about that idea. Heck, I’ve been on her good side so far this month, I better not press my luck.

Maybe its the holidays.

1 Like

You really need about 800 watts for 16 square feet, so even 2 lamps will be more than the plants need. I guess you could use one for veg and two for flower, as long as you duct them and get the heat out of the tent. Make sure they stay well above the plants.

BTW: I’m retired so every day is friends and family day!

1 Like

Well the air drawing from outside will help seeing as its winter. It’s hard for us to wrap our head around that, sometimes less is more.
79 isn’t that bad as long as you stay around that or lower your good.
Even if the veg tent is a Lil hotter the girls will deal with it. Don’t get me wrong the optimal is 77, but you’d be surprised how adaptive they are.

1 Like