Drying technique

Looking for opinions on which way to dry? Just hang from string? Mesh Drying rack? Other options?

I still a have a couple weeks but was thinking of ordering a mesh drying rack.

2 Likes

Great question @Smokin_ernie
:cherry_blossom:

1 Like

This is sure to start a discussion ! There are a lot of different ways to dry your harvest.

I start the harvest by flushing and letting it stand for two days in the dark still on the stalk. Then I harvest it by usually hang them upside down in a dark place with air motion. Humidity 45% or so. I actually hang it in my. grow tent with the lights off to insure domestic tranquility (stop the wife from bitching) about smell. I trim some of the bigger leaves off first some say not to.

Other options are drying in a cardboard box or paper sack. Opening every day. My friend used a old cardboard refrigerator box and made it work.

The mesh racks are good I have heard as long as it is in the dark. THC degrades in sunlight. Needs turning daily or every two days

I am not recommending this for anyone but I dried a broken bud partially and used a microwave to finish it. 2 1/2 minutes of 40% power in 20 second on and off intervals. It should be turned every 20 seconds and wrapped in 2-3 paper towels. Came out really well but likely lost some THC due to “vaping” it out with the microwave. I needed some medicine and it turned out real well. I am happy with the potency of it. Can’t wait to see my other buds that I can dry the normal way.

That’s it for me. Happy harvest ! Jerry

7 Likes

:star2::+1: (no likes)
:cherry_blossom:

1 Like

Thanks! I like the idea of the rack and with a fan blowing on it. I would think it dry nicely. I am at about 40% humidity where they are growing. It would be easy to just hang rack rather the set up string every where.

1 Like

Personally, I let my plants sit in the dark for 36 hours before I actually cut them down.

Then, I rinse, and hang the plants whole. I hang them in a dark area, with a fan that moves air around. Temp is usually around 72-75 F. And humidity ranges, but stays low.

After a day I cut off most of the fan leaves. And a couple days after that, I cut off the rest of the fan leaves and any leaves that don’t have any trichs visible.

A few days later, once the branches “snap” when bent, I cut the buds off, and trim them.

Finally, they go into a jar where they sit and cure for at least one week, but up to a month.

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

That sounds like a good technique. What do you rinse the plant in? When you put it the jar do you leave them closed all the time? Or do you open it once or twice a day to let breathe?

There’s a great thread on here about rinsing your buds, and why people do it. Search for it if you have some time.

When they’re in a jar, I’ll burp them daily for the first couple days. Then, as the days pass I only burp every couple days. Allowing the humidity to stay at a consistent level for longer. Some people use Boveda packs, which keep the humidity at the perfect desired level.

4 Likes

This is a great thread as a lot of us are new to this and would love to hear everyone’s drying techniques and curing to, as I’ve never done it before so I’ll be watching this one with great interest

2 Likes

I checked and can’t find a thread on rinsing your bud @ktreez420 buddy,do you know the name of the thread by any chance

I know right just starting to read about drying and curing and got me wondering what other people do. I haven’t been steered wrong from the good folk here!!

2 Likes

I just typed in bud washing and lit’s popped up, but here’s one of them.

There ya go
This is the like to the thread that’s in the link I just put up

1 Like

@Zero420 got you covered!

1 Like

I see it now thankyou @Zero420 I was looking under bud rinsing not bud washing, thanks buddy,I have looked and don’t think I will have to worry about that with an indoor grow but if it was outside I’d totally understand doing it.

1 Like

I just hang them in the bathroom in the dark for 2 1/2 to 4 weeks depending. … :wink:
Then to the jars they go… :smiling_imp:

Yikes… sorry for the crappy picture… :angry:
:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

I chose to hang the cut branches from twine in my guest room with 2 fans. I trimmed the fan leaves as they hung and as the branches cured to touch I trimmed and jarred them then did the whole burp daily. However, I subsequently spoke with someone experienced who suggested further time in paper bags. I tried it and gave them another week. The buds were much more pleasant to smoke. Also, as time goes on, it seems like the potency goes up.

4 Likes