Drying in food dryer

A question from a fellow grower:

I have an inexpensive 4 tray food dryer I used this autumn to dry a variety of fruits in a relative short period of time. This dryer has a control knob for temperatures ranging between 65 degrees to 155 degrees. The manual recommends 2 to 4 hours of drying time at a temperature between 95 degrees and 115 degrees for herbs and spices. Do you think this method would work on my plants? What are the risks of lower Thc? Your thoughts please…

1 Like

I found the other link for the same topic here: Using Dehydrator. The consensus from the response there was that food dryers will dry out your harvest too quickly.

2 Likes

I’ll second that. Using a food dehydrator will dry them way too fast and you’ll have harsh smoking pot. Drives off a lot of the terpenes and even some of the THC. I use small boxes to prolong the drying time for up to 3 weeks before it goes into jars for burping for another month or so. Fussy but the end product is well worth it.

2 Likes

You willo ruin your harvest if you dry it in a dehydrator. It does not allow for the actual chemical process to take place, converting sugars, etc.