Do I start them in soil and transfer to coco or do I start them in coco?

A customer has a question or concerns and I hope we can get some opinions on it, thanks

“The question that I really had is I’m going to grow in coco - do I start them in soil and transfer to coco or do I start them in coco- thanks for all your help”

1 Like

Thanks @ILGM.Becky

Dear customer,

Soil and coco have different pH approach, so it will be easier on your plant to go coco from start to finish, imo. But it can be done, just expect a bigger transplant choc…

~Al :v: :innocent:

1 Like

There is no benefit to starting seedlings in soil ever so no, you should just go right to coco. Be sure to ph accordingly.

I understand your point, @Myfriendis410, however I disagree…

I always put my seeds in soil in they forever home without a glitch, after the seeds have tap rooted … The obvious benefit is they will never have to go trought transplant choc…

However, it’s not a recommand technic, I conced that…:wink::innocent::v:

1 Like

That is an exception that, if you account for it with a mild soil, is perfect. I guess I should have qualified my (blanket) statement haha. Thanks @Niala,

For a new grower however; one would be much better off to go into starter soil or peat pellets. Of course, coco is ideal so long as you account for the ph.

1 Like

Ha ha, no harm done brother :laughing: :wink: , you’re welcome :innocent:

You’re totally right about the mild soil :+1:

I put a seedling / sprouting friendly medium on a top soil of my “hot” soil, :wink:, lol… With clear cup dome(s) for about the first week of sprouting…

It’s fairly easy, however, demand constent vigilance, and good genetic seeds…:wink: It’s less forgiving when it come to watering and evaporation rate then, for example, a close dome with pellets, rockwool seeds starter or solo cup…

That said, you are absolutely right too that it’s not for new grower’s and if you’re not able to stay at home during this critical phase… :+1::grinning::+1:

Good call @Myfriendis410 for account the pH :+1::ok_hand:

1 Like

So I had pretty much the same question a couple days ago. I have a few clones in fox farm light warrior it’s a seed starter soil, and I want to switch to fox farm coco loco. After a few comments @ktreez420 told me

So this is my plan hope it helps and good luck :four_leaf_clover:,

2 Likes

@Wishingilivedina420state, you know, @hillbilly103 is doing that coco and worm castings with castings tea, which is an amended coco. If they are seedlings I think it would be quite all right to bring over a little soil to help the transition. And I would just ph down over a week or two. If it’s a small amount (1/2 cup or so) it should fade into the coco over time.

I’ll bet they won’t even notice.

1 Like

I myself start my seeds in what ever medium I’ll be using for the rest of the grow :+1:

2 Likes