Digital testers

I’m looking for a digital meter preferably 3 in 1 (pH, TDS and Temp). Been looking at Bluelab Guardian Monitor. You can see reading 24/7 by checking the monitor, do you think it’s worth the expense? Also do you have any suggestions of 3 in 1 digital testers? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Hello.:slightly_smiling_face:

Blue Lab is well worth your money.

I actually use two separate meters for my TDS and PH.

The brand I use is Apera.

Excellent quality and around the same cost as Blue Lab.

They also offer a combination meter that has excellent reviews.

Here’s a link;

Apera Instruments PC60 Premium 5-in-1 Waterproof pH/Conductivity/TDS/Salinity/Temp. Multi-Parameter Pocket Tester, Replaceable Probe Amazon.com

Actually that is the one I had 2 days ago until it stopped reading TDS, EC and Salinity. Only temp and pH it read the rest just marked 0 and not sure if it was faulty or something so I sent it back. Which Apera you use maybe I buy that and hope for the best

1 Like

I know you don’t know me but I wouldn’t steer you wrong.
Apera is a very high quality line of meters.

I love mine.

Extremely well built and extremely accurate. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:I

I use this one for my PH;

Apera Instruments PH60 Premium Waterproof pH Pocket Tester, Replaceable Probe, ±0.01 pH Accuracy, -2.00-16.00 pH Range Amazon.com

And this one for TDS/ PPM. ;

Apera Instruments TDS20 Value Waterproof TDS Pocket Tester, Accuracy: ±1% F.S, 0.5˚C, Complete Kit Amazon.com

3 Likes

Maybe one day I change my mind and buy an Apera, but really worries that it would do the same as the one I got

I second the Apera meters. I love my PH meter.

3 Likes

Welcome back @Bogleg the plant is doing great, I agree with you and I will give Apera another chance just bought the TDS20 :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Well today it arrived but don’t know which one to believe. One is showing 1669ppm the other 2450ppm, the plant is doing great none the less but I’m curious.

1 Like

only real way to know is to get some kind of calibration solution

https://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-1000ppm-Calibration-Solution/dp/B001FD6WZ8?tag=greenrel-20

I am sure there are some home items that have a set range, maybe some others will jump in with some home remedies…

1 Like

The Apera came with calibration solution. Did you calibrate it? This would tell you all you need to know.

TDS is the least accurate and most loosely gauged device that we use. You can never get exact values by measuring electrical conductivity of a solution. What you can get is repeatability. The experts talk about around a certain range of ppm. Just FYI.

2 Likes

I have the same meter, the Apera TDS-20.

I went through the steps necessary to calibrate it but it was spot on after testing.

Follow this video to the letter and you will have no issues.

I fully trust the Apera.

2 Likes

That’s what I will buy to be certain on it. Thankyou

1 Like

It has an EC solution, I did calibrate it and the picture of the reading is after calibration.

That’s the pH tester, on that I have no problems whatsoever but on the TDS one I’m not sure it was worth the expense.

The TDS meters aren’t super accurate but they can give you trends and baselines. I found it very useful during the flower stage in my last grow.

Please can you help me with my tds meter I have the apera instruments tds20 meter and the ph20 meter. The ph20 meter is amazing no problems but I don’t understand why my tds meter isn’t working right. I just got it brand new calibrated it and i put it in the 342 calibration solution to see if it is right and nope it’s 540ppms. Then I went to test my run off today on a plant and it said 6.40 there’s no way it’s in the 6000s for ppm I am getting very frustrated. My cheap ppm said 2000 which sounds logical. Please help me if you can

1 Like

I dont like my apera 5 in 1. It’s too much to mess with. My problem with it is you have to keep just the glass bubble probe in storage solution to keep it accurate. If you get solution on the Bpb sensor which is right next to the bulb it will screw it up. Just had to buy a new 55 dollar probe for that reason. I bought it to simplify not worry about all that craziness.

Yeah I’ve had issues with my apera reading ec or tds. Also does anyone know on a ec/ppm o version chart which value is apera? I see truncheons etc.

1 Like

I hate all electronic equipment… it always fails in my opinion…
I use a simple ppm meter that I put against another simple ppm meter and if they are with in a couple of points from one another then I split the difference and as far as ph goes… I use the drops… they never lie unless I go color blind…
Never no issues… :wink:

:v::sunglasses:

1 Like

The Apera usually lets you adjust the calculation (the math) you want to use for the conversion from EC to PPM. So you can use the U.S. or European option and configure the Apera pen for either.

I believe it comes with default settings to convert EC to the U.S. TDS/ppm chart.

I went through a headache like this a few months ago with mine (mine is the EH60 or whatever). I reset it to factory defaults, installed a new battery, and then calibrated it. Been fine since.

2 Likes