California Dream in DWC

holy crap dude, how did you keep the roots alive so long? Fine looking plant you got there.

1 Like

lol, 3 lights for 1 plant? You’re worse than me.

2 Likes

You’d be surprised at what all I got done today built my new aero unit and bucked down and trimmed my top kola’s on my other aero unit quite shocked at how the buds formed actually had better buds mid plant than at top either way have opened canopy up enough to get better light lower down

2 Likes

Have system running with florakleen to flush anything which may be in the pipes out and clean netpots

5 Likes

Ya got me wanting one now.

1 Like

super simple low pressure pond pump a few elbows and cheap sprinkler heads 27 gal tote. Though this is more like top feed or NFT than true Aero it sprinkles the roots and gravity does the rest the water runs back to res in a film on roots since surface area is so great the droplets themselves add o2 re-purposed old bucket top net pots

2 Likes

So you don’t need air pump?

1 Like

I don’t think your going to be as happy as you think with that aero system… :wink:
Nice build tho… :wink:
How much water and nutrients are you able to put in there?
I fear that your plants might drink to quickly in certain stages… :wink:
Keep us posted… :wink:

:v: :sunglasses:

Lol I thought about that but I grow in cooler temps and with a 4 gal min fill and 15-20 gallon max I don’t expect to have too many issues there also weekly changes keeps nutrient expense down :wink: My last unit was quite similar but 55 gal res and 4 plants issue I had was plant support I screwed up and cut bottom out of net pots so the plants settled deeper into res as they got larger. As I said less Aero more NFT and I don’t need air pump but likely will run 1 stone and pump with 2 extra lines for gassing off my Tap water during winter which point is cheaper to run and results will be same as most hydro systems. Only big factor is less nutrients needed over my typical 16-20 Gal res changes

3 Likes

Also cheaper to build with lower pressure pump $30 and sprinkler heads costing about $.30 each elbows and fittings $1 each pipe about $6 and tote around $11 net pots maybe $5 each so about $60-65 for a simple and effective system :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I am going to be dragged out of my comfort zone listening to you both and seeing @bryan doing his thing so well…figuring out the best delivery system for the plant’s nutrients will be an ongoing challenge…I like the idea of building it myself, it’s more satisfying and cheaper.

my 2 babies, I see roots

and my big girl, holding on, I put some string corner to corner and then ran string from those to hold up some branches

3 Likes

I found at hobby lobby some rubber string, did the job and flexible

1 Like

LoL I recognize that spider web of bud supports kinda looks how mine did before I chopped all the tops except your’s are thicker mine grew tall and started falling over my walls did decent job holding up some lmao

2 Likes

Now that I cut them back and started my flush rest of plant seems to be purpleing up nicely am still quite shocked how my buds seemed to form bigger mid plant than tops? wind burn? too hot? who knows for sure but same strain under scrog is growing completely different in my other space mind you was easier to keep lolipop with single plant?

lol, those thickening buds are what’s keeping the scissors off that plant…the tops aren’t so pretty but the lower buds are puffing up and getting covered in sugar goodness and showing healthy green leaves, tho again, there are lots of ugly spots, dried, dead leaves and I grab a leaf to move branches around to look at stuff, too many of the leaves are coming off in my hands,

I am just waiting for amber, something I wasn’t expecting 3-4 weeks ago while she had root problems

the spider web works for me :wink: for another week or two…I could tie her up securely, drain the bucket thru the side gauge in place, enough to refresh her nutes if needed next week…

@bryan , you are a source of good ideas, Thank You!!

1 Like

I likely cut mine too early but the system I built wasn’t meant for 4’ plants which they turned into I expected they would be half that and denser hence new unit being 2 plants and using larger net pots

there are a few tops that I am looking at to cut off…the hairs are dead, and to my eye, they aren’t developing as well as the lower, healthier buds are…I have never done a partial harvest off a plant, this may be the one, usually it’s start chopping top to bottom, a clear cut

1 Like

It won’t hurt your plant any if anything will help speed up ripening the root system will have less to support and the hormone response from being cut will start another push of growth

1 Like

that’s my feeling, the plant has given up supporting (because of her bout with disease) some top buds so I might as well help her out by removing them

Working out in my head how to support a screen of some sort for both net pots in my new unit may just drill for tomato screen/cone 4 holes in each pot use that to start them training them to support scrog screen later in flower? My forecast today is so damn confusing radar is clear yet calling for 10mm and rain all day on both of my usual weather sites?