Blanching Cannabis

Hey all, I make coconut oil and earlier this week a friend told me I should be blanching the cannabis that I use. It seems this actually removes the majority of the color and taste. My concern is that it will also remove the good stuff, CBD and THC. Anybody seen an actual test to compare before and after content?

Never heard of it ill be watching for sure this is interesting the blanching part

I too make infused coconut oil. I am wondering what the purpose and/or benefit of blanching would be. Did your friend mention why they thought you should do this? I decarb and then either infuse in a crock pot or a machine specifically for infusing herbs. I’m curious now.

Edit…sorry I re-read your question and see now where you said the purpose is too purify the flower and remove the “plant taste”. The articles I read didn’t mention that it reduced the potency of the bud, only removed the nasty plant/clorophil taste that you can sometimes get. There is a chef in Los Angeles who apparently is working on patenting his method to do this and he was making it for medicinal purposes so he was pretty aware of potency. It was pretty interesting and I think I will try a batch of this to see how it works.

Maybe @thaproduct22 can bless us with some of her knowledge on this topic?

:v::evergreen_tree::evergreen_tree:

Hey I use concentrates for my coconut oil. I’ve never heard of the blanching technique unfortunately. I don’t see how it would lose potency if you’re careful bc the thc won’t bond to the water. I will have to do more research on the topic though.

2 Likes

I am looking for actual empirical data. There very well may be none at this point. I believe it works, and I know the CBD and THC won’t bond to the water, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that none will be lost.

1 Like

Trial and error then send in for testing would be your best bet imo.