Best reflective material for grow rooms?

a few years ago there was a paint specifily for grow room worked very well (50.00 a gallon) but has quit making it

now-a-day we don’t have much /many options:
flat white paint
mylar
Ocura sorry about spelling price is 60.00 (+) appears to be out-standing - they a have side-by-side video of the maylar and Ocura. believe this might be the best ??

any other recommendations ?

1 Like

@steve2
Flat white Kilz brand paint $28 gallon at local blue box store

1 Like

I haven’t tried it yet, but there is suppose to be a high reflective white roof coating that works well. Supposedly available by special order at home depot. Probably other places too.

Interesting. In my prior job we would add sand to paint for traction (marine environment). We kept applying paint to keep the sand hidden, BUT if you were to purposefully use larger grain sand, then use thinner to wipe the surface afterwards…

1 Like

Here it is

@dbrn32
There’s a lot of mobile homes in my part of the world
I know that roof coating well and highly recommend you NOT use it. Stuff gives off highly toxic fumes
Not what you want indoors!

3 Likes

I know some of the roof coatings did, but wasn’t sure about this one particular. I don’t plan on using it either way, panda film is hassle and mess free.

The stank and any harmful attributes are non-existent once it’s dry though correct?

1 Like

@dbrn32
Yea it’s pretty harmless when dry but you’d need a fresh air respirator to apply it and there’s very little to be gained from anything over flat white latex paint

2 Likes

Copy that!

I actually have the respirator, spend quite a bit of time with aluminum dust and fiberglass. The average person probably doesn’t, so you like you said, not worth the hassle.

2 Likes

Yes, once dry and CURED (just like flowers :wink: ) it gives off no more bad juju. Being under full spectrum light should have no effect on it, because I am pretty sure the sun gives off a bunch-o-spectrums wen it hits the roof…

2 Likes

I am thinking more along the lines of the reflective highway paint, or the retro they use on traffic signs. Using small glass bead in the paint (or sand) gives he reflection many directions to go. So this would be used with whatever paint you use. Pour your paint in a pan. mix sand in, then apply with a thick roller.

1 Like

I’m using this one as reflective material:

1 Like

I have tried many different things The roof coating usually requires a primer and they are both expensive. I had a friend that used Orca Film on a small grow box and the heat increased well over Flat white Paint. I am using the Behr Ultra White Flat Paint and it has been working great easy to clean and replace.

2 Likes

southbound that’s the material “Orca” going to cover a 3by3 space with 2 Galxayhydro 300’s don’t think heat will be an issue ?

I think that mylar or gold or whatever reflective material would be best. I do think that if you resort to a reflective paint, adding sand to change the refraction and spread light more evenly would be a help.

Sorry for beating the dead horse. I think this finally explains what I was saying, so I’m done now :slight_smile:

I used the Behr exterior grade ultra flat white fence and barn paint. Over Kilz flat white primer. I have to hold my hand 1 inch from the wall just to cast a shadow

1 Like

Vampire???

@Whodat66
I’ve been accused of much much worse :skull: