Beginner Grow- falling in love

Good luck! Judging from your post you know what’s up, but I would invest in a pack of fly-paper strips. I think they have an attractant for the buggers as well as being sticky (unlike tape)

2 Likes

Also, cut up some potatoes and put all around the top layer of your soil. The larva will be attracted to them and it will take multiple times to get them all so change them out frequently. :+1:

2 Likes

Also - FLUSH and think about something to help your roots. My first grow had an infestation, and though they survived, they had a root-ball the size of a baseball, with almost no smaller roots left.

1 Like

@Whodat66, do you have any suggestions for what I can give to help the roots? I looked in the lowes garden place but didn’t see anything.

Thanks @MattyBear, I read about the potatoes, but forgot to get some. Tomorrow I will.

2 Likes

I know that the “good buggies” can help build the root system. I can’t spell it off hand but the brand name I got was Mike-O’Rizeys. Good bacteria and junk.

But this is stuff to be mixed into the soil, so I would wait until all the bad guys are gone.

1 Like

Looks good man! I haven’t been around too much because of my own infestation. Gotta nip that in the bud as quick as possible. No pun.

I’m interested to hear about the potatoes.

1 Like

@Whodat66 suggestion of fly strips are good. Add DE earth and neem oil, you should be on top of it all.

1 Like

I will know in the morning how all the gnat treatments went, but I don’t think they stand a chance against the Mosquito Bits if they survived everything else. I have acquired a few nice products for my mj grow kit. I will feel more prepared with my two new girls. Anyway, back to Greeny; she is getting close my friends. She has a lot more brown pistils than her pics show, and I see cloudy shroom heads all around.

5 Likes

WOW @Tr33 Greenie sure has taken off!! Looking pretty darn good, all things considered

1 Like

Thanks @FreakyDeekie. There were a small number of gnats this morning, but nothing like before. I sing her the song, “you gotta fight for your right to party” and talk to her every day. She is a nice sized plant; I am thinking the gnats have slowed her some, but she is still very awesome. She wound up in a five gallon bucket, and I think this was a good thing because she has a big root system; if she had a small root system, that many gnats might have killed her. I think the soil I bought for her last pot upgrade was where the gnats started…but I still can’t understand how I missed it. I have my two new girls in my bathroom until Greenie is done.

2 Likes

Anybody know if you put the cut side of the potatoes facing the soil, or does it go on its side for gnat collection? There were two different kinds of gnats during this grow. The ones I had before were not the kind that gets into the soil. Those just were annoying, flying in the air kind of curved gnats. The fungus gnats I have now are smaller. I did not know there was a difference until this beak-out. Why do the show up in the morn after lights off too? I only have a couple weeks left, so if I can keep them down to a few, we will be OK. I am thinking to give her one more good feeding and then start her on just water for the next two weeks and then…greenie will be harvested :frowning_face: :smiley::smiley::smiley:

Put the cut side down. If you slice it up more than once then most of the slices will be skinless and it won’t matter which side you put down

4 Likes

!

I thin she is about ready…what say ye?
I think I’ll snag a small bud and give it a quick dry just to see where it is at. I think two more weeks will be too long.

4 Likes

Used the sliced potato method and yellow sticky pads. Seemed to do the trick for me.

1 Like

Still look pretty clear - but plentiful and juicy! I’d say with the issues you have been having, it’s your call. Be nice to be done with the worry…

Looking juicy @Tr33. If you think things are under control I would let them go a tad longer, just from what I am seeing in the pics.

@FreakyDeekie, I think you are right. I was just looking over the buds to see what small one I could pilfer from her, and while I did snip one, I regret it a bit. She is looking good, but if I wait even just another week, I am sure the bounty will be well worth it. I have the gnat prob way down, so to wait will not hurt. Even the small bud I took in another week, or even two, would have been a chunky monkey…oh well. I think taking the small snipet will help me be able to wait the rest out better. A couple of the colas are getting pretty dang heavy :star_struck::star_struck:

2 Likes

The good thing is that the gnat infestation doesn’t affect the buds like rot or caterpillars would. Meaning that whatever is there is 100% usable, just different quality - so yeah, wait.

2 Likes

I heard that when you think you’re ready, wait a week. It sounds like you did!

2 Likes