I just wanted share an experience I learned a lot from and hope it may help someone else along the way. In March I started my first grow ever. After reviewing a lot of things I decided to go with hydroponics. After 4 weeks I had some really nice looking plants one day only to have 2 dead and 2 very sick puppies a couple of days later. I transferred the 2 plants to soil. I have since harvested 1 plant and am still trying to get the second co cola up and make some buds. That plant's life story is set out in a separate thread (Pot gone to pot.http://support.ilovegrowingmarijuana.com/t/pot-gone-to-pot-is-this-a-hermie/2428) The killer was root rot due to and stemming from inexperience.
I've since started 4 more plants in hydro. They were germinated starting on June 19 in potting soil on a window sill and set into hydro on July 9 and I started them using Fox Farms nutes where as I had used ILGM nutes on the first grow. From the get go there were some discolored leaves which was hard to figure out as I had learned too much about over nutes with the first grow and kept everything consrvative with the seedlings at about 2/3 of the lower recommended PPM counts for the Fox Farm nutes. The yellowed leaves were getting worse rather than better; I had trouble with solution temps rising overnight; and, pH levels climbed overnight as well. Being as I had to pull 1 or 2 of the plants every morning (the plants formed very nice root systems early on) I notice the roots browning and starting to get slick and somewhat slimey.
The above pics were taken on Aug 6 with the roots browned and completly clogged. I immediately changed water and found the aerator tubing to be coated with brown goop as well. Apply H2O2 in order to help claen the plant roots revealed the majority the crap felt gritty so I gave the root a thorough cleaning with pH neutral 0 ppm water and washed all "in the bucket equipment" and the reservoir thoroughly with Farmer's bleach and refilled. As I started to add nutes to the solution I realized the Fox Farms Grow Big (containing worm cast) was brownish and gritty as hell. For the remix I switched to the ILGM nutes and began with a 600 PPM mix. The next pics show the root systems of the same plants as of yesterday 8/10 or 4 days later:
The next 4 pics will show the plants for comparison. The first 2 are from 8/6 and the bottom 2 are from 8/10
And here's the roots as of the 10th.
The goop from the Fox Farms nutes had effectively sealed off the root systems and was blocking nute pick up. Also the reservoir temp is now averaging 74F instead 77F in the mornings and pH is holding steady a 5.8 instead of being on average 7.3 in the AM. Yellowing leaves have also been significantly decreasing as those already damaged drop off.
I hope this post will help someone experiencing similar problems or before giving up on some plants that can be easily given a second chance.
Peace! And toke on,