Autoflower Grow Journal: ViparSpectra600w

I use Fox farms nutrients but the GH Flora series work well too @MedMan1878

1 Like

Same question as @bob31. While the king spectrum seems to be about the same across models, what kind of price are we talking?

I’m only familiar with a few of the amazon lights off the top of my head, but I’m going to look lol.

Also, what kind of space are we talking? I’m guessing you’re wanting to stack something with a lot of intensity in red wavelengths between two of the lights you currently have? If not please correct me.

1 Like

@dbrn32 & @bob31 …here is a little more info to help clarify my questions…

Total usable grow space dimensions= 18’x3.5’ approx. totaling 68 ft.²
Total space being used currently= 8’x3.5’ approx. totaling 28 ft.²

4 total lights currently being used
Overhead light -viparspectra600w
Side/angled lighting- galaxyhydro300w
Opposite side/angled lighting- Marshydro300w & GalaxyHydro180w UFO

Total ACTUAL/WALL WATTS- 650watts between the 4 lights
Additional ‘actual’ watts wanted- approx. 150+/- 30
Budget for additional red spectrum/bloom oriented lighting- under $150 (preferably closer to $100-$125 unless I find a deal or it’s worth it to spend $150)

I.e. King plus 600watt- $100 & 120 Actual watts, & even though this brand is a price level under the Mars’ & Viparspectras type brands is still has A competitive advantage in the red spectrum even when compared With the more expensive tier of lights. I’m still pretty new to all this so if anybody has any recommendations for lights that are atleast comparatively good with blooming, I’m all ears. Again I’m making the assumption that going for this type of light is a good idea.

----Current lighting setup----

3 Likes

The king light sounds pretty good for you’re trying to do, and the members using them seem to be happy as well.

As for possible alternatives, fluorescent is a good option for blending with leds. Or, I could probably line you up with some pretty good 660 nm mono’s for a diy project. I think rapid led even sells a kit within your price range. Or, maybe @bob31 or @Countryboyjvd1971 could weigh in on the spectrum of the cob fixtures they’re using? I haven’t seen a graph for it.

2 Likes

I will check the grow room tomorrow. I don’t remember if I have that or not? @dbrn32

1 Like

@bob31 @dbrn32

This is what amazon has for the roledro cob

cob

1 Like

Thanks @Ron330!

Not sure why I had such a hard time finding it. I don’t think that one is going quite fit what you’re looking for @MedMan1878.

How do you feel about putting together a kit using Cree mono’s?

I’m still learning how to buy the right light, don’t think I know enough to make one yet…I do have another question though I see some lights with higher PAR values and lower wattage & others with higher wattage output and lower PAR values…how important is PAR and should I go for light that has a higher wattage or a higher PA R value

1 Like

A more efficient led can produce more par watt. Same goes for all types of lights really.

You want to give par and spectrum the most consideration. Watts are great for a baseline measure, but don’t reflect the efficiency or type of light that a given fixture will produce.

Is it common for some lighting companies to lie about their PAR values…i’m seeing a few lights that are 600-1000 watts at $100 with PaR values over 2000 @ 20 inches away…if I sent you a few lights and the links could you help me figure out which ones best

1 Like

Anything is possible! I’d be happy to look over a few, just post up a link or screen shot.

I think what you’re seeing is Some of the led companies equivalent wattages. Some of those have been known to be stretched quite a bit.

@dbrn32 Of these 3 lights, which 1 would you go for? And why do these lights have such great PAR specs at such a low price? I mean most more expensive lights don’t even show PAR values like these…hoping u can shed light on the best 1 & the reason for there pricing…really just wanting to know which to buy at the end of the day.

LED Grow Light 600W BESTVA Reflector Series 2 Modes Full Spectrum Plant Light for Hydroponic Indoor Plants Veg and Flower with Lens Tech Adjustable Hanger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074K25WD2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Oca6zb73PZQ8Z

This is only $115 but the PAR value is pretty amazing wondering if you could figure out why price so low for such an efficient light…and to your point on the equivalent wattages I only pay mind to the actual wattages if it’s not listed I don’t even mess with it

Hybergrow LED Grow Lights 400w, 3rd Generation COB Full Spectrum Plant Growing Light https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0753Y456T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_pDd6zbXV94Y4E

• this COB has a 3024 par value at 20" pulling only 90 true watts! Only $100…decisions decisions

This nexlux 1000w pulls about 260 real watts & has a PAR of 2200 @ 20" ! Only $105!
LED grow light,Nexlux 1000W (100*10W) Plant Grow Light, Double Chips Super Bright Full Spectrum Hydroponic Plant Grow Lights for Indoor Garden Hydroponic Greenhouse Flower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HI7KYMG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_6Br6zbSEF0T2X

@dbrn32 …so ive narrowed it down to 2 choices…feel free to answer the above post if u want and if there is a better 1 listed let me know…or u can just ignore the previous post as I am trying to pick between:
(Both are same price and both have averaged 4.5-5 stars on Amazon)

1. Meizhi 450w
    Par- 779 @ 18"
    Lumens- 11,550
    ACTUAL WATTS- 195w
    Coverage- 2’x3.5’ @ 18"

MEIZHI Reflector-Series 450W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower - Dual Growth Bloom and Switch Daisy Chain https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J19ADTI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_1Mu6zb599R827

1. BestVA 600w reflector series (also listed in previous post)
    ACTUAL WATTS- 132w
    PAR readings- 1812 @ 12"
    1354 @ 18"
    929 @ 24"
    Core coverage- 2’x2.2’ @ 24"

LED Grow Light 600W BESTVA Reflector Series 2 Modes Full Spectrum Plant Light for Hydroponic Indoor Plants Veg and Flower with Lens Tech Adjustable Hanger https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074K25WD2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_GNu6zb6AR3ART

Slightly concerned that the first light doesn’t produce a little more red. Even more concerned that the 2nd light doesn’t show light spectrum.

All things considered, I think either would do the job. I was just looking at mars 600 for another member, light spectrum is a little more what you would look for there, even if the par is a little lower.

I haven’t owned any of them, so it’s really hard to point to one over the other. I would check reviews and try to see if they point one way or the other.

They are bigger than mine and my 2 auto’s are 4wks but i am only using 300w led. And its my first time growing anything.

Could you learn me something real quick and tell me how you came to the conclusion that the Meizhi doesn’t produce enough red… I’m asking because I heard that this brand is better for flowering than vegging

1 Like

For sure @MedMan1878. Here is the amazon listing pic showing provided spectrum. It’s entirely possible that the advertised spectrum isn’t accurate, or maybe they produce different light spectrums from different models? Either way, from the amazon listing, this is what I found. That’s definitely a little weaker in red wavelength intensity than I would personally recommend. Does make it a bad light, but not exactly optimal either.

Sorry for all the questions hopefully these are my last 2… Thanks for all your help @dbrn32!!

Regarding my previous post showing the list of 2 lights I was looking at, BestVa and Meizhi…you said you were worried because the bestva wasn’t showing it’s spectrograph…just want to make sure u didn’t miss anything here, but isn’t this the same thing (pic below)…this was one of the pictures on Amazon for the bestva600 I was looking at…does this not provide the same type of information that the graph from your Previous post provides when u were explaining the Meizhi spectrum?

What do u think of this light? The spectrometer graph shows good reds, and the PAR readings are amazing! I’m cautious because it seems to good to be true at its $110 price tag, not to mention never heard of the brand ‘Growfast’ before…I want to make sure I kno what I’m gettin…LED Grow Light, 1000W Double Chips Indoor Plant Grow Light Kit Full Spectrum for Greenhouse Flowering Growing Lamps of Medicinal Plants (10W Leds 100pcs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072C4B66X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_9m.6zbTW4BS9G

1 Like

No problem @MedMan1878.

The picture you posted is showing what led’s are in the fixture. It doesn’t show the ratio of each compared to the other. Doesn’t tell you about how much intensisity is provided at each wavelength, or even anything close. Looks like 10 different leds, and a total of 60. And guessing from the picture, could potentially be 6 of each.

I guess what I’m saying is, it may be a great light. But they don’t quite give the information to tell from advertisement.

Lads,

It’s been a while since I updated this grow journal for my 3x Auto AK-47 grow session. All 3 plants turned out well & did a good job bouncing back from a couple PH and soil compaction issues (almost leading to critical H2O runoff run off and parched roots).
Everything has been chopped down and currently in the curing phase. Plants 1-2 were done some 3 weeks ago & I’m really noticing the potency increase from day to day. Plant 3 finished about 1 1/2 weeks ago.
FINAL DRY WEIGHTS!!!
Plant A 1.3 oz
Plant B 1.2 oz
Plant C 3.7 oz!
Plants A+B+C = 6.2 oz (OR) 175grams !!!

3 Likes