Anyone cure or smoke their own meat?

Oh man ! I don’t want to grow weed in something that I put food in ! :confounded:

Stainless steel. Washdown in between. Tried and trusted.

Lights and heat unit are modular. Shelves are stainless. Big enough for about 25 lb of meat, or 2, 3 gal grow buckets. Autos are the bomb in the unit.

1 Like

It all started with my prototype.

2 Likes

This was my first smoker an old gas grill and a fire pit. It was small but put out great bbq.

This my newest it hold a lot more.haha

7 Likes

Nice setup ! I mostly use my 18 inch WSM but that’s even too big for me these days I haven’t used my Chuck Wagon Grill in a decade or more it’s sitting there rusting which is a shame

2 Likes

The royals!!! Nice bro didn’t know I was in the presence of a master. Lol and yes I hate cooking sausage tough to get the casing and the meat to look beautiful and have a perfect bite through.

1 Like

Yeah we came first placed in ribs one year and pulled pork another year we came first in our ribs again in our beef and sausage it’s a lot of fun out there at the American Royal they’ve moved it since the last time I was in competition

4 Likes

Well we are in the presence of a master but it’s @Hogmaster …and now I think I know where he got his username as well LOL

I’m just a backyard hack, but that’s pretty awesome hog Master ! :thumbsup:

3 Likes

I’m glad that I asked this question. Some great pics and knowledge. I watch that show Man Fire Food all the time and others I can’t remember their names.

I appreciate it.

1 Like

Anytime always happy to help somebody else get into this great hobby, well this other great hobby LOL …I watch all the bbq shows too

I’m watching one right now called “The Grill of victory” that I’ve never seen, I think it’s new on Travel Channel

• good luck in your new hobby :thumbsup:
3 Likes

That’s quite creative There @Paranorman lol hell im no more than a backyard cooker myself I was just lucky to have someone teach me that had a lot of knowledge 20 some years ago oh boy from Tennessee

3 Likes

Wow you guys got me in the mood for some deer jerky … hmmmm :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

4 Likes

That’s how I learned too, an old-timer who used to work in his brothers barbecue shop in Memphis back in the fifties taught me, I’m still using his dry rub recipe LOL

3 Likes

I’m going to smoke some commodity cheese.

1 Like

Me too brother man me to

3 Likes

@EarlyPearl if you are wanting to learn how to cure properly I would suggest getting the book written by Ryan Kutas “Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing”.

I had been making my own sausage and curing my own meats for 20 years before getting this book. I thought I knew everything…not. Tons of information and some really great recipes that are fool proof.

Good luck and once you learned the difference between cure #1 and #2 and what they are used for, you will have it licked.

1 Like

First time seeing this thread. Good stufff!
@Hogmaster - now your name makes perfect sense. I thought it was like, master of rolling HOG legs!!!
@OldStealth @Paranorman @EarlyPearl - I love making jerky. Usually just do it during deer season. I use dehydrators as well. Got lucky and got a good recipie from an uncle out west, people say it’s the best (their words).
I’d like to try new recipes though if y’all are down for sharing?

2 Likes

Here in the South, we have a liquid marinade called Dale’s. By itself is great. I have used A1 steak sauce, and so many other mixes that I would have to know what spice level you are looking for. I get requests from folks at work for a number of my custom seasonings. 5 spice powder gives a twist that is quite tasty. Soy sauce, apple juice, orange juice as a base. Then add what flavors you like. Marinade in fridge for at least 4 hours. I go overnight. I could go on all day. 35 or so recipes and still counting. :sunglasses:

1 Like