Almost at 7 weeks flower

Put a little hydrogen peroxide in with your water - - - kills mold spores.

Based on the flip to 12/12 you are actually in the 5th week of flower. What you were seeing are signs of (female) sexual maturity. Probably another 4 or 5 weeks to go unless it’s fully seeded. If so, it will tell you, believe me lol!

2 Likes

So you actually start counting the number of weeks in flower 2 weeks after you go 12/12 ?
@Donaldj @bob31

2 Likes

I start my count as soon as I see buds forming Pistil’s showing in bunches not just a few here and there :wink:

3 Likes

It kind of depends on the plant and the conditions. My last grow transitioned in a week but they were really mature and I was on a 16/8 schedule.

I second these questions. @Donaldj?

this is what most people are missing the light schedule and maturity of your plants before flip 12/12 if your plants spend months 24/0 20/4 the transition takes longer

1 Like

I was gonna say the same thing about it possibly going herm. I thought that little yellow thing looked a bit out of the ordinary. If the conditions/enviro were good, I would definitely check for light leaks before putting any other plants in that flower tent. I suppose it could just be a seed from a plant that hermed Itself and was genetically predisposed to do that, but check your tent to be sure! Remember something as small as an indicator light on a power strip can mess with flowering plants in their dark cycle.

I think what us newbies are asking is - in general - do you have either a certain number of weeks at each schedule, or is there a particular plant clue (like “x” number of nodes or something) that clues you in to when to change.

At least that is what I am asking. Thanks.

2 Likes

Preflowers are the clue a fully mature plant will show preflowers even without 12/12 I will post some pictures on my thread later even my plants in mother space have preflowers :wink:

Before I flip 12/12 I expect to know sex and see pre-flowers they are the earliest sign of maturity and sex also a visual display of a plants desire to bloom. Many tricks can be used to get the plant to speed transition but a rapid light change rarely ever speeds it up so I veg in 2 spaces 1 space under 315w LEC 16/8 my plants stay in this space for 4 weeks or more this is where I train bend and strengthen my ladies also where they mature nodes tighten and preflowers start. The difference in this transitional approach is that my plants are on a more natural cycle closer to outdoors. They are convinced that the days are getting shorter any old school grower will swear by 16/8 or 18/6 and shake their head at the 20 or more hours of light people favour now. On average my transition (stretch) period at flip lasts 1-2 weeks during which plants are throwing preflowers entire time which will form into buds I begin weeks count when flowers are present on all Kolas.
Honestly there is no set answer as to transition length since each strain and grow is slightly different until you have grown a strain from mother plant several times you will not master speeding transition or know it’s timeline :wink: Here also is where I differ I grow almost exclusively from clones only their mothers are from seed meaning my plants are mature from 6"-24" since their mother can be as old as a year or more my BB is about 2yr’s old my GC is 1yr PK is 6-7 months CR 4-5 months etc…
I am a patient grower I have low demands and can let a strain mature while growing another. I believe in the concept of time reveals all so I rarely rush a plants growth

3 Likes

When to change the light cycle to 12/12?
It depends. On autos they will bud automatically doesn’t matter what the light cycle is. But regular plants will bud when you change light to 12/12 around 5 or 6 weeks growth which would be about 5 nodes.
I grow outdoor so they just do it naturally.
You could potentially grow a plant for many months before changing but it would be a tree. Read some grow journals you will learn a lot.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining. I am not “in a hurry” by any means. Conversely, I don’t want to prolong it unnecessarily.

I have read (and am reading) and was just questioning this specific “16/8” schedule and where it fit into what I already have read. It makes sense that if you are prolonging the grow, more dark period giver her more healing time if you are training/pruning etc.

Was mainly wondering about how it applied to his comment about his plants flowered quickly after the flip.

you may or may not have read this thread?

I will post update pics of the ladies I flipped last Sat tonight and show you what I class as flipped fast :wink: and prior to the 1 month of veg my plants grow at half the speed under 24/0 in mother space under t5’s within days after moving them to 16/8 they are showing lots of new growth and will double or triple in size within 4-6 weeks prior to flip

1 Like

Looks like you have already had this answered but the quick answer is yes (Using the KISS method) But first pistils is the start of flower if you caught the date.

I love pictures, but I get what you are saying now - that I know the rest of the story… :wink: Be patient with those of us new here - but not to the world… especially when we hear a “juicy new nugget of info” that is only an excerpt from conversation(s) had well before we got here. Point me in the right direction (as above) and I’m good.
Quite simply, the 2 comments piqued my interest, but taken out of context. In context it isn’t that amazing of a concept, since they have been “preparing to flower” for however long you keep them in 16/8. Que?

Hard to focus phone with bright light reflecting but there are actually pistils in top plant which is under 16/8 and the last 2 pictures are my lady who was flipped less than a week ago

2 Likes

Awesome! So for a regular grow for you, how long would you say it is from when they pop good leaves to when you flip the lights (on average)? I mean, how much “extra time” can you keep them in 16/8 before flip, and it be worth the time invested?

I keep them in 16/8 for around month and this is when they actually grow fastest but prior to that they have been kept in 20+ for month or 2 topped several times transplanted 2-3 times lmao. My best answer would be 3-4 months from seed depending on if I push them or not (good lighting feedings bigger pots) keep in mind once again I plant seeds to make mothers plants not monsters. A mother plant is kept in perpetual frustration to limit it’s speed of growth in my case but can be sped up too if that’s a goal?

2 Likes