Absolute novice struggling to find answers

You don’t want your pH under 6 do you? You could try coffee grounds or citrus peel or something to make soil more acidic.

1 Like

Cut out my six bigger bag seed plants today and yesterday pretty sure they weren’t right and were hermies…
In saying that this is the first time I’ve ever seen a mature flowering weed plant so I’m not 100% confident I was right but thought it better not to risk it…

The autos are starting to look quite nice.
Hopefully they’re ok, they’ve lost a few bottom fan leaves they went yellow and then eventually fell off, but the tops are looking ok I think.

I’ve put some sticky boards in because I think I’ve got a gnat problem.

The temps usually between about 24-26 and humidity 50% I’ve been misting them once a day and they had another drink of my compost tea today.

I’ve added some sulphate of potash and more Epsom salts and molasses to my tea too for my watering after next.
I’m really not sure if I’m feeding them enough, they look healthy enough but maybe they won’t yield as much as they could if I got everything right lol

Has anyone got any tips for me on what I can improve on?
I do wish I’d topped my plants sooner and started bending them earlier
Do you think they will be ok?

1 Like

If I’m understanding @bob31 correctly;
Because my mix is soilless the pH Level should be lower than if I had mixed it with soil.

1 Like

Ah ok, cool :smile: I don’t know anything about soilless, if it’s not soil what is it? Water or coco? Or something else?

@gypsy the bag of his soilless mix is in this picture I copied from further above. The ingredients on the bag don’t list soil

The issue is that it is also amended with Lime. And as the Lime interacts with the water it will also affect the pH. So basically you have a medium that should be a ph of 5.8 but because if the lime added to it could be more like 6.5

2 Likes

@gypsy, what is pH of tea you feed them? GW

@bob31 okay, , so I’ve had just about enough of this stupid soilless generic crap mix! I keep struggling with the pH. Readings are fluctuating way too much. I’m thinking about transplanting her into FF soil. I have one bag each of ocean floor and Happy Frog. I’m thinking to mix together? But, before I do anything. I’m going to start a grow journal and also a support ticket. Do you think both are Overkill or should I just do one versus the other? GW

Hi @GW Sorry I missed this post earlier! You could actually move this to the grow journals section and rename it?

When I transplanted I used a layer of FFOF on the bottom half and a top layer of FFHF. It suited me well!

A support ticket would be great too!

COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, ILGM… name of strain:

Age from Sprout:

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco / Brand and type of Soil & Size of Pots:

How often do you water and how do you determine when to do so?

PH of water and runoff or solution in reservoir:

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS:

Indoor or Outdoor:

Light system, size and height from plants:

Temps; Day, Night:

Humidity; Day, Night:

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size:

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier:

Co2; Yes, No:

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but short, to the point questions and facts will help us help you

1 Like

Brilliant idea!
So, if I’m following your train of thought here, FFHF for top half due to FFOF having more nutes? GW

Right exactly I want to say I left a one inch or so of buffer around the root ball with the FFHF.

And now not to confuse the issue or anything, but my bud @Countryboyjvd1971 started his grow in FFOF and is going with that and full FF Nutes from day one!

Maybe on the next grow! lol

I don’t know if doing it that way made any real difference, but I felt safer doing that. Truth is if you keep the pH spot on, that should be 99% of the game!

1 Like

I did put my plants in ffof right from seed had a little leaf tip burn very early on and very minor I started feed as per ff schedule as well full mix after the round leaves died and fell off
How old are the girls ? @GW
Are you the ex president lol
I’m not telling anyone to do the same thing just so we are clear just relaying my experience
I decided to try this after reading several post from latewood about feed as per mfg directions
My experience has been good
My theory on why so many people will burn their plants is this
They don’t follow basic practices proper ph water etc and don’t feed full nutes
Then when a problem rises due to lack of nutrients they over correct and burn the crap out of their plants . That’s my two cents worth
You can check out my grow on my thread if your interested at
CB super silver haze grow
Happy growing :cowboy_hat_face::v:CB

3 Likes

Just to clarify, both bags have same pH?
I’m looking at their website. doesn’t say anything about Happy Frog but it does say "Ocean Forest® is pH adjusted at 6.3 to 6.8 "
Should I just target for water going in pH 6.5?

And yes, I agree, I’ll play it safe for the rest of this grow… she’s only on the 4th node. GW

6.5 is the perfect ph for both of those soils.

and you and CB posted about the same time, I wanted to make sure you saw his post? ^^^

:+1: :+1: :+1: Outta Likes!

2 Likes

Thanks for your two cents @Countryboyjvd1971 lol.
Nope, no ex pres.
Growing cheese strain from Robert, 1 at a time, until I can get one to live. She’s on day 32 of growth. GW

2 Likes

Looking good bro
Yes always 6.5 is your sweet spot but anything between 6.3-6.8 is ok
I aim for 6.5 myself

2 Likes

Another novice looking for help. Had someone that was going to help and knew what to do, but never has grown any. A quick rundown seeds are soaking (20) looks like all 20 are good going to plant in Fox Farm Ocean Forest soil in 4" peat pots. I was going to put them under cfls but now I do not if they will be enough light. I am using 23 watt cfl 2 to each refector, I can double that. Need to cover 4 1/2 sf for seedlings. Once they are up will be switching to led and will have 48 square feet to work with! Help getting all kinds of info now second guessing

1 Like

@rmireau CFLs will be fine - I keep my seedlings and vegging plants under T5 until they get thier 2nd transplant to full size pots (5 gallon), at that point they go into the tent under LEDs

From the official ILGM reference section

You may also want to consider a seedling starter until you transplant, I use a basic Miracle Grow Starter mix, which is gentler on seedlings.

Welcome to ILGM, you are in good company here.

Happy growing :seedling::paw_prints::heart_eyes: and hope you start a journal, if so, please tag me and I’ll follow along

3 Likes

I do have a journal going in grow journals. It is under Newbie in Northern Cali will be adding some new pics of our girls.

1 Like

Sorry have not figured out how to tag! And it is under Bobthebuilder

Hey @BobTheBuilder I looked for your grow journal
I can’t find it if you wouldn’t mind could you tag me in bro I’d like to check it out
Thanks in advance :grin::v:Happy growing

1 Like