Absolute novice struggling to find answers

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to growing and new to this forum, I tried to order some seeds (Super Skunk Fem) from ILGM shop (hopefully I’ll get that sorted soon) and when they arrive I’ll be getting started.

I have some other bag seeds that I’ve kept so I may have a bit of a crack at growing these in the mean time.
My PIC(boyfriend) has grown bud before a few times but at this stage is keeping his cards very close to his chest and has told me to do my own research and see what I can find out.
I’ve been reading for DAYS!

So here’s what we’ve got so far;
Grow tent - 2 metre square box, which I can set up in the locked back area of my garage.
9 x 100 watt COB integrated LED (Says its equivalent to a 600W HPS)
10 x 25 litre grow bags (about 6.6gal) which I know is big but they were $3.20 each which was so cheap, and good bags are hard to come by in this part of the world.
Carbon filter
Jiffys

My plan was to try grow 9 plants in the tent… will they fit or is that too many for my light setup?

I plan to use soil, and I would like to make my own soil, I was thinking I’ll make the soil now and leave it to sit for a bit while I wait for the seeds, I was going to blend regular bagged potting mix and compost with coco, hay, blood and bone, seaweed, worm castings, manure and maybe vermiculate and perlite to get the right consistency…
Will that be good?
Am I over thinking this?
I couldn’t find any detailed instruction on making your own soil and I’d hate to kill my first plants.

I want to try and keep away from using lots of store bought nutrients, and try to make a complete soil myself from things I can find.

Also with the nutrient feeding during vegetative, I have a worm farm, and in the bottom section under the worms is a container of ‘worm juice’ I was planning to use only worm juice as food during the veg stage and hadn’t quite figured out what I was going to use in flowering… but I can get liquid blood and bone or something higher in phosphorus?

Anyway, I really know nothing so any help and advice anyone can offer me would be choice as!
Thanks

2 Likes

Led is good choice efficient for electric bill also gives deeper light penetration than an hps. Welcome to ILGM we are happy to have you here, the pots will do good for later growth as seedlings you want to start with small pots or solo cups l. @garrigan62 has a soil recipe I think he may share with you @gypsy sounds like you have a good choice for making your own soil, and yes add perilite and vermiculite it will help with drainage and aeration for the roots. I think 9 is a little to much maybe start with 5 or 6 in that area and i think you’ll need 2 of those specific led lights.

4 Likes

welcome @gypsy to ilgm forum, @latewood maybe you or @Majiktoker would be more qualified to answer @gypsy questions…

1 Like

Already did post above

1 Like

you’re quick!

I know haha

my search and peck typing skills keep me lagging behind!!!

1 Like

Oh believe me auto correct makes me have to retype every mf’n thing I turn around

6 Likes

Thanks!
I was planning to put them into bigger peat pots with mild soil and then plant the whole pot in the bigger pot… would that be ok? I figure they will push through the peat ok?
I want to disturb the plants as little as possible and try to stop them being shocked when I put them into the bigger pots.
I was thinking I’d layer the soil too so that as they grow they can get what they need.
WOW two lights haha we picked this one up from a friend, they’re over $1000 here new, I was afraid it wouldn’t be enough but in saying that I haven’t set it up and had a look yet

Look at off brand led lights they can be just as effective and way cheaper or mars hydro led a 300 watt one at 140 true Watts would be right around 90-120$. As for transplanting if your talking about little peat pellets (jiffy pellets) than absolutely that is fine thats recommended if an actual pot get them,out of the pot before putting in bigger home.

If they are biodegradable pots I dont recommend using them but if you do yes you can transplant entire container and plant as it would just eventually compost the soil

3 Likes

Hey @gypsy welcome to the forum, first off , you"re gonna do Great, just stay with us an we"ll guide ya through your grow,
That is an interesting mix of soil, very well researched, please stay away from Miracle Grow soil as a base, with all that mixed in you"ll be fine, remember less is better , don’t overkill on mixing and just basically start with a good quality organic soil, then mix in gradualy in a large 35 Gal. container with a small shovel. With what you"re mixing now will take you into veg. stage with just a small amt. of nutes , ie.CalMag, and additives like Alaska Pure Kelp Plant food.

1 Like

@gypsy

Welcome to our world of growing here at ILGM
If you ever need help or have a questions just ask ok?

Now here is my recipe for soil

This is not for seedlings

Since I only grow around 4 to 5 plants at a time for personal use the soil mix that I use is this:
1 big bag of Fox Farn Ocean Forest
2 4lb bags of worm casings
1 pound bone meal
1 pound blood meal
3 cups epson salts
2 cups of dolomite lime
2 bags of perlite
Water well, mix well, let sit for at least 90 days prior to using
This is an organic mix and I never have to add any ferts during growing. My biggest propblem is the the girls getting root bound getting big enough containers that will fit in my small grow area’

I have switched from Fox Farm to using Pro Mix Bx instead of the Fox Farm soil
I’ll grow my seedlings in the Pro Mix then transplant to my mixed soil for vegg and flower

Will

7 Likes

Is the FFOF a 1.5 cu. ft. bag (I think that’s the biggest)? Also, what size bags are the perlite. I’d like to try it.

Thank you for sharing!

You"re not adding Any Cal Mag ? if not what makes up for it , just a noob an learnin too !

Hey Matt

I buy just enough soil for 6 to 8 plants. Using 5 gal buckets
but don’t go short on worm castings. The plants love this stuff and the bat guno
Now this is not for seedlings and i have switched from Fox Farm to using Pro Mix Bx instead of the Fox Farm soil
I’ll grow my seedlings in the Pro Mix then transplant to my mixed soil for vegg and flower

Will

3 Likes

Thank you agian :slight_smile:

I never used or fed my girls any nutrients until they were in there 4 - 5 week of flower and that was just a bud fat’n uper

Will

3 Likes

Why … no need to

Will

2 Likes

Lmao… NOT!

Whatever wattage they say an LED light is, you generally can divide that by half to have your true wattage.

100 W light… 50 watts of true light.

Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

And for the soil recipe I use basically the same things. I used the Pro mix BX, and also for calcium you can use ground oyster shells and, or fish meal.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your recipe here I was hoping youd answer here…