About DWC Feeding

Hey there,

I wish you happy and high grows :slight_smile: I decided that I want to try DWC grow so I did some research.I had a question that make me curious but I can not find the answer.How often do you feed your plants and how do you understand that it’s feeding time.And one more question.When adding nutrients do I have to drain the old solution or can I add directly.I read that changing reservoir weekly is okey.

2 Likes

water is changed on average every 7-10 days, but that can be modified with your growing skills and the plants health.

fresh nutrients are mixed with the water for that change, and as the plants drink the water, you replace it with either pH’ed water or water with a nutrient mix to top off. You’ll need a ppm/ec/tds meter to measure the nutrients and watch the plants for the appropriate amounts…plants react differently to the fertilizers used, you find the sweet spot for them.

2 Likes

…or

Some growers never change the water during a particular growing cycle, particulary in large reservoirs. The nutrient solution is simply measured and adjusted.

A lot of this depends on what type of a system you’re using, good luck with your growing!

1 Like

Thanks for answer but I’m not sure that I got the point.I’m a Turkish and thats why I can not understand it clearly,my bad sorry.Can u explain it a little more simply English.

I’ve never grown that way but from what I understand you need a ppm meter to show you how much food your plants have taken from your ressiv, resa, umm, the tank you keep the nute mix in. Ha, need to learn how to spell that.

1 Like

Your plants roots basically soak in a water nutrient mix that has an air stone in it to keep the mix bubbling with oxygen. The plants take what they need and you have to replace it. Ppm stands for parts per million.

The plants do not start to need nutrients until the third or fourth set of real leaves.

at that time, start feeding with 1/4 strength of recommended fertilizer to see how your plant reacts. Increase amounts slowly with every fresh feeding.

“How often do you feed your plants”…fresh food every full bucket change, every 7-10 days, starting with light feedings, increasing slowly.

“how do you understand that it’s feeding time”…You can add nutrients to the buckets when they need it, something that can be tested for with a ppm/ec/tds meter.

“When adding nutrients do I have to drain the old solution or can I add directly”…I drain 8 cups, about 2 liters, of water from the reservoir and mix nutrients with that before pouring back in.
I don’t add anything directly to the bucket water without mixing.

3 Likes

Thank you so much dude

hahaha thank you for your help but you explained to me what I only understand :slight_smile:

Man I feel like an idiot but I have to ask you sorry for lots of noob question but I’m new at hydro.

“How often do you feed your plants”…fresh food every full bucket change, every 7-10 days,First you said feed when changing reservoir but then “When adding nutrients do I have to drain the old solution or can I add directly”…I drain 8 cups, about 2 liters, of water from the reservoir and mix nutrients with that before pouring back in.For this sentence you add nutrients without change all solution.It makes me confused

The plants require a full feeding regularly every 7-10 days when you exchange all the old water in the buckets with fresh water mixed with nutrients.

As the plants grow and use the water, it needs to be replaced between major feedings…at this point with either pH’ed water or a mild nutrient solution, something that can be measured with a meter. This is when I drain 2 liters of water, mix in the appropriate nutrients and pour back in the reservoir for mid cycle partial feedings.

1 Like

thank you so much and I’m appreciate that.

Thank you for this info kabongster. I’m learning enough here to really contemplate putting one hydro style pot in the room just to give it a go. I’ve always been curious.

The next time I go to my local store I’m going to check that whole section out.

I’m doing dwc (bubble buckets) without a central reservoir. I use 3 gallon buckets and feed directly to each bucket (2 total). I know that they use that up about every 3-4 days and I just top off with fresh nutrients then. I unfortunately don’t have an EC/ppm meter, but use Green Air Products “Genesis Formula” and mix medium strength each time the water level is just above the air stone. My Bloodhound girls are doing unbelievably well!

1 Like

Hey mithatcan, if you are using a 3.5 gallon bucket just mix up a batch of nutrients in your 3.5 gallon bucket . (Use the amount specified by your nutrient brand per gallon ).
As the plant feeds (drinks) just and more from a premixed batch you have on standby.
What I do is mix a batch of nutrients in a 1/2 gallon jug and just add as needed. In the 1/2 gallon jug is a mixer for a 3.5 gallon bucket. I don’t know man, its kinda hard to explain but that’s how I do it.

1 Like