48 hour dark period

This maybe a simple question but I am about to put one of my autos into a dark period. I don’t have a space to do it in seeing my tent is still occupied by other plants. So was thinking of making a cardboard box for her to sit in. Is this going to work? There wouldn’t be any air moving around in the box. Don’t want any mold to grow. Open to other suggestions as well.

@Countryboyjvd1971 @bob31 @Sl1 @Majiktoker @North_East_Newbie @daz49

1 Like

Is this right at the end when you’re giving it 2 days of dark?

1 Like

yes just before harvest. I am going to chop her down on Saturday so wanted to get her in a box of darkness.

1 Like

Well so far when I’ve done the darkness I’ve always done it in the tent and my ones coming in in my light garden, sorry that’s all I can tell you

1 Like

@Smokin_ernie with out any air flow there is the possibility of mold farming, I turn my light off in my flower tent every 4-6 weeks for a 48 hour dark period with no affect to other plants. I just make sure all plants are watered well before.

2 Likes

I get so many good tips just by reading all the amazing posts. Let us know what you decided, and how it worked out, wont you?

2 Likes

I’m not 100% on this, but seems like you could have some mold issues starting to form.
Is there a closet in your house you could put her in with a fan running?
Or part of your basement to tarp off?

1 Like

Do you have a small clip-on fan from your tent that you could put in the box?
@Smokin_ernie

2 Likes

Hmmm got me thinking now. I do have a closet in the house that no one uses. So might have a fan I can put in there. @Wishingilivedina420state @North_East_Newbie you guys are right about the mold. @Tr33 I will post an update. It is going into darkness tonight. It needs to come out of the tent. It is taking up room for the other plants that have more potential of a higher yield.

4 Likes

I personally don’t do a dark period before harvest.

Any reason? A friend that grows said he did a comparison with and without 48 hrs and he felt it was worth doing. Just another mans opinion.

No not really any particular reason. I just felt it wasn’t necessary from the reading I had done.

1 Like

That is cool. I ended up just cutting it down this morning. I had an idea to put into a box with a 2 computer fans running and a passive air intake. I had all the material except the vent hose to make the passive air intake. So didn’t want to just run the fans in a closed box. Anyways she is all cut up and on the drying rack. So we will see what happens.

3 Likes

In the future, if you have the fans, one at the bottom of the box and one at the top, with a hole cut on each to allow airflow should work.

(in through bottom, out through top, heat rises, yada, yada, yada

1 Like

I remember seeinf the question asked a while back about the dark period and there were mixed responses so just decided to chop down rather than a dark period. It really I have no personal comparison since I’ve only just cut them down but I’ve always gotten a great final product so it was never a problem for me. I probably should give it a try on one of my grows just to see the results first hand.

2 Likes