1st grow, "KISS" method down the drain

Saturday is my usual watering day. Watering to the point of runoff means they barely need water after a week. Also, they seem to need more nutrients than they do water, but the nutrients come with water!

The canvas bags are actually better for this, really moving moisture out. Hoping a trip outside will dry the bloembagz out faster.

10 Likes

Day 73.
Maybe this was unnecessary, but I got enthusiastic this morning. I’ve been thinking the 5gallon plants are too deep in their pots – tiny dead, crispy leaves in the new growth. So I decided to repot them higher. I may have done more harm than good in the short term – I definitely broke up some roots. But they’ll be in these pots for five more months, and I’ve learned how well the recover from problems, and then improve. Just like all of us, I guess.

Before:

After:

5 Likes

@Lia
Your grow is looking fantastic !
Here is a thought…5 more months , I think the 5 gallon will be not enough…
Anyway, just my humble opinion…
Happy growing !

3 Likes

First time I got to look at your grow in a while. Really looking nice. Am looking forward to seeing your grow advance. Keep up the good work ! Jerry

2 Likes

They definitely have potential to outgrow 5 gallons, but I don’t have the resources to grow them that big. Soft pots are supposed to prevent root bound, so here’s hoping I can keep them alive yet portable through harvest. :beers::herb::seedling:

1 Like

You do great, no worries…
My girls are all outside, mostly in ground already…
Its growing like a weed :slight_smile:

1 Like

the plants are looking great…I had the same problem with 1 gallon fabric transition pots, I had a real hard time getting the plant out with minimal damage to the roots…I realized then I needed a smooth walled narrow at the base type regular pot until their last home.

1 Like

Day 75, flower 46 (? Math?)

My closet is maintaining 72 degrees and 50ish% humidity with no interference from me except turning the fan up or down.

Also, consistent pH between 6.2 and 6.8 since Olympus Up last week. Soils still moist, so I may postpone watering a little longer even though it’s been a week.

Noticeable frost!

10 Likes

Beautiful!

Day 76,

Finally some lovely weather! Wilbur has to stay inside because some of her tall, stretchy branches broke in the drama of wind and getting moved around.

But all the other warriors are out in the sun and the breeze!

Meanwhile, it looks more like Marijuana High School than Jr high, flower day 48 (fixed my math)

Decided to water lightly after all – nutes say “once a week,” and Willow was thirsty. So I watered her thoroughly, Dawn more lightly, and just gave Buffy enough to rewet her top layer of soil.

Got some weird wrinkly leaves in Dawn.

They showed up when her pH was low, then went away last week. Well see if her feeding helps.

Budlets are looking like real flowers!

2 Likes

Holy crap, y’all, I looked at the frost through my old loupe I got when I worked at a jewelry store. And that frost looks like trichomes!!! Little clear mushroomy shaped things.

:open_mouth::smiley::nerd_face:

8 Likes

Ugh, I got home from. Work and Elizabeth had completely collapsed in her pot – too much wind? I dumped her out and repotted her vertical again. She’s so droopy now.

Ditto for Katniss:

And Jane looks super droopy:

Audrey looks the perkiest, maybe because she’s the smallest?

The only one who looks better now that. This morning is Wilbur, who spent the day inside.

I really hope this is fatigue from too much wind and sun! Anything extra I should do for them to help recover? Just make them comfy and wait?

2 Likes

@Lia I don’t think there is anything more you can do. They’ll be fine.

Even on a cloudy day the sun’s uv Ray’s are pretty intense.

It was pretty cloudy here yesterday for most of the day and the wind was pretty light…

I suppose you could provide some support (stake, chopstick something inert for her to rest against) but probably they will be fine with rest.

2 Likes

Thursday is neem oil day. Warriors are recovering, less droopy. Yesterday was bright and sunny most of the day, and so is today, so the 5 gallon trio arr staying inside.

Put the canvas bag experiment out in a spot I’m considering planting them. Less wind today, and they’re near the fence, so this should be a nice gentle day to acclimate to nature.

Nothing more to do than let them be.

Meanwhile in MHS, Dawn’s wrinkly leaves are wrinklier, but no more leaves are starting to wrinkle.

Willow has some signs of mini nute deficiency???

I fed them yesterday, but no improvement​. Yet?

Day 79
Light water for all the warriors today, even though Saturday is their usual watering day. It was a weird week for them.

Update: Audre was screaming “I have a textbook case of potassium deficiency, give me nutrients!!!” So I added a dose of Big Bloom this afternoon.

Wilbur’s damage may be more severe than I thought. The leaves on one broken branch are splotchy.

The other branches are healing, but this one is still floppy. :slightly_frowning_face:

Update: I’ve propped up her branches.

Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Is that old damage on the leaves? @Lia

The splotches appeared after the branch collapsed when the was out in the wind. Only the leaves on that branch are splotchy.

ok cool! Just looking over your shoulder!

Day 51 since 12/12, i think all the scoobies have definitely graduated to Marijuana High Shool. Into week 8, buds are fattening up.

Dawn still has the same wrinkly leaves, Willow has the same discoloration. I think basically it’s just damage from past problems. It’s not going away, but it’s not getting worse. So I’ll just keep on keeping on.

Sooooooo tempted to water. But I’ll resist.

I know these plants are undersized and small yield, but I’m so glad to get this practice with flower and harvest before my outside plants go through it.

5 Likes