1st grow in the caveman’s cave garden

@Openmind That one that really stretched, add a little more dirt to the container to support the stalk. She will be fine. Have you lowered the light a little closer? Also to keep the RH higher, can you pt the caps on? They want a really high RH for the first while as they only get moisture thru the leaves!

They are doing well!

3 Likes

I added dirt to the one, engineered some spacious seedling cup containers, lowered the light to 15” above plant top, spritzed the leaves. Ph is 7.0 for the one and 6.5 for the other.

3 Likes

4 Likes

SO far so good I think. They’ve grown for sure but is the pace up to what it should be? I look at other grow journals and it seems like these girls may be small.

4 Likes

How old are they? @Openmind

1 Like

The first one broke ground about 9 days ago. The coloring looks good but they just seem a little runty.

1 Like

You’re off to a great start! I look forward to your progress! @Openmind

1 Like

@Openmind

685b7ca5f9e79c87ff59d4306158923664ebcfdf_1_374x500

This is one of my girls at 7 days. While this is my first grow and by no means am I an expert, yours look to be about on par with where I was. Remember, at this early age, your girls need to grow roots too and sometimes it looks like they aren’t doing anything up top, but they are building roots. Once you get a good healthy root system they will take off. Trust me, I’m watching you go through all the new grower angst that I went through. Keep up the good work, they look great! :grin:

6 Likes

Thanks @SilentHippie. I appreciate the encouragement. Sounds like I’m showing the signs of being a first time dad.

2 Likes

The girls are growing up fast. I think they may be ready for transplant within a week.

1 Like

I have this halogen work light and have considered putting it on a 4 hour timer for the middle of the day. Any thoughts?

I read somewhere halogen does not work well for growing @Openmind opinion on the halogen spectrum @dbrn32 I think produces a lot in the red spectrum? They’ll stretch a bit.

1 Like

I agree. The majority of light provided from halogen bulbs is outside of the usable region of our plants. The best lights for our application will have peaks in the mid 400nm and mid 600nm regions. This isn’t a great chart to show that relationship, but I found it easily.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 you continue to amaze me and answer questions that I wonder about… I too have a halogen light I use for close inspection but wondering if it was any good for growing…

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m happy to contribute, as others are the same type of resource to me.

The small led flood lights are great household lights that can double as a grow light though. I think they start around $10 or so on amazon.

2 Likes

I got this from an online vendor that so far seems to be working for all of my plants.

1 Like

You should be fine with that. With two plants, you’ll just want to make sure you don’t outgrow the light. When they’re flowering, you’ll want your light a little closer to provide good intensity. The closer you get, the effective footprint of the light will get smaller.

You’ll see a lot of the members run like 2+ month veg cycles, but they also have multiple larger light fixtures. So just keep that in mind moving forward, and you should be plenty successful.

3 Likes

Thanks @dbrn32. I appreciate all your input. These are auto flower Northern Lights so hopefully they’ll stay short and bushy. I’m going to do some LST with them to help with that. It’s not an optimal sized light for sure though.

2 Likes

I think you’ll be pretty good with autos

Well I transplanted the girls yesterday. I used a bottom half layer of Fox Farms Ocean Forest and top half layer of Fox Farms Happy Frog. It was a little tough getting them out of their baby cribs but they settled into their big girl beds very nicely. And their mint sister is taking off like crazy.

1 Like