16 d old seedling tips look "burnt", leaves yellowing

Looks good to me! My blueberry auto plant grew really quick like that and stretched a bit. I ended up just putting more soil in cup, reburying part of the stem. I think it helped it a lot to do that, plus gave stem more support and its now solid!

1 Like

So you think leave at the height they are now @VelcroThumb ? 'Tis my instinct to do so.

I think so… just keep em domed uo and high humidity!

1 Like

I’m keeping ~80% +/- and 73-75 deg. Interesting how much seedling to seedling variation there is in how they have grown today. Anyway, I’ll try to not keep checking on them every 10min and see how things look in the morning, subject to more advice from @bob31 and @Countryboyjvd1971 . Thanks. Nervous novice.

1 Like

Its hard to not watch, thats for sure! What seeds did you drop? Obviously different strains will grow differently. But indicas are short and bushy. Sativas are tall and spindly

1 Like

Yeah, I was aware of this but really wanted to try Durban Poison, a pure sativa. I’m a mood disorder kinda guy :slight_smile: Maybe crazy indoors, but my plan is to prune and scrog.

1 Like

The only issue with the dp is that they are regular seeds so there is a chance you could be growing a male. Youll want to get it big enough, take a clone and get it to flower to determine it is male or female.

So this is gonna be a fun journey and I look forward to the ride @Hogfather

2 Likes

Yup. I am also aware of that. I think I read you can tell males from females around 6 wk. Worse case, I get seeds, right? :smile: Honestly, after my first debacle I’ll just be happy if I can get plants to live and thrive. And I will be so grateful if you can be along for the ride. Like you, I live in the great state of Massachusetts. Maybe one day there will be local garden clubs where enthusiasts can meet and share experiences. Legalization has been a long time coming. I despaired of seeing it in my lifetime. Really is a return to roots. I’ve been smoking when I could across 7 country / states since 1970. Many droughts (remember the furry freak brothers: Dope will get you through times with no money better then money will get you through times of no dope)? Anyway, I am incredibly fired up about my new hobby. Always wanted to grow. Now I can.
By the way, I’ve started “liking” replies I get without knowing what this may mean. As in is it useful. And maybe one day explain tagging to me. Peace and Love.

2 Likes

“Liking” Is just a way to acknowledge another members comments with or without responding to them. I try to use up all of my likes everyday! They don’t carry over and you can’t take them with you so always spread the :heart::heart::heart:

Tagging just means adding the @ in front of a username like mine @bob31 sends me a notification that I was mentioned by name. I always read posts where I am tagged. If someone replies without tagging me, then I generally read those later on when I have more time (Sometimes a couple of weeks later! LOL)

Males create pollen @Hogfather and even one male in the vicinity of any female plants in flower will cause them to seed and seed tremendously! There are guys that take pollen from a separated make and pollinate lower buds on their females for a few seeds, but that is an advanced technique!

The only way to tell males from females is to sex them.

3 Likes

Thanks for explaining liking and tagging @bob31 , and for the link to Robert’s article. I had not seen this and it has more info than I was aware of (i.e., forced flowering). I realize I may be trying to run before I can walk, but am learning a lot.
Day 6 and the girls and boys) look healthy. No water yet since putting seeds in the cups with soaked soil. They still have some heft. Light misting and keeping humidity ~80%.

3 Likes

Hi @bob31. How many days do you typically go before adding water to the seedling pots? I’ve now removed the dome and suspended the T5 light ~2" above the plants so I could add an oscillating fan to strengthen the stems, which are 2-3" tall. Keeping 60-65% humidity and 70-74 deg F. The plants are looking good.

1 Like

I spray them down a couple times a day and also some on the soil around the base of the plant to make it moist. Not too much though a couple of squirts is generally what I do. Have they gotten any new nodes (sets of leaves?) as they may be getting close to being ready for actually being watered! Post a pic maybe? @Hogfather

1 Like

Woohoo @Hogfather looking good
How high above dome is you light fixture o keep mine just about touching to keep the stems from streaching too much
Your girls look great tho

1 Like

Hi @bob31. Photo is of my most advanced seedling, but the others are not far behind. Day 8 and 2nd nodes beginning. Continue spraying and hold off on watering do you think?

1 Like

Hi @Countryboyjvd1971. I’m keeping the light 1.5 - 2" above the plants (see pic). I think they stretched some initially and next time I would keep the light closer from the git go.

2 Likes

another week and you can start watering the soil. They did stretch a little. When you transplant you should bury about half of that stem and they will toot right off of the stem. Make nice strong plants! @Hogfather

2 Likes

Are you still keeping them domed up? It would help to do that and help to keep the humidity high, which my seedlings loved

1 Like

I was thinking to add nutrients to the seedlings’ water starting week 3. I have Advanced Nutrients Jungle Juice Micro (5-0-1) and Grow (2-1-6). Should I start with Micro? Directions say 33ml / 100L so I was thinking to decrease that to 10 ml / 100L. Advice anyone? Thanks.

I removed the dome in favor of exposing to moving air from an oscillating fan to strengthen the somewhat stretched stems. Last 24hr RH 63-67%, temp 70-73 deg F. Day 10 and they are looking good.

2 Likes

I think youd be good to keep the dome on for a few days until leaves touch sides. If you are worried about stem, do what @bob31 mentioned and build up a littlr soil around stem. Itll help to strengthen stem and cull the stretching

1 Like